right guys my gf seen a Toyota staret v in Bristol Monday and decided to buy it and we took it for a little drive last night and after half hour of being out the engine light came on and the engine started knocking :S we stopped and called the aa they came and said the bottom end sounds like lts gone!!! she's only had the car 24 hours and paid over 2k for it, Really not happy, what can we do if anything
also the boys trying to sell his ek civic so avoid

Give details on him to warn off other buyers.

To be fair if it wasnt knocking before then theres a chance he didnt know it isnt the kind of thing you can mask up before selling. Although he may have noticed other symptoms.

Also is the rest of the car in good condition with any kind of spec? If it is then even with a bottom end rebuild then after paying 2k your not really out of pocket tbh. Its just down to whether you have mechanical skills and want to go forged now or not.

Those wheels are horrifying. To be honest it looks like a really clean car.

Whats the mileage?

Just sell the wheels and dvd player to fund the rebuild lol.

It says its recently had a head gasket and an engine service bit wierd for the bottom end to go after that kind of work. I wonder if the oil has been contaminated when they have done the work or the gasket is faulty?

if it was my car il get it forged but I don't have the skills to do it myself, and its my gfs car and she hasn't bought it for speed really would it be easyer to get the bottom end sorted or buy a replacement engine ?

the body work it mint and millage is just turned over 90k :( oil is like new and have paper work for service 500 pound spent on it 2 months ago aa bloke said he could of known and put thicker oil in and stuff to hide the problem...

Edited by Ek-Boy-53

If he had known even with thicker oil you would still have heard it knocking but if you dont know what your looking for then you had no chance. to you it could have been anything with a thicker oil and a loud exhaust there is no way you would have picked out quiet bottom end knock.

Unfortuneatly these things happen im afraid the bright side is that it looks like a clean example and if you sell un needed parts like I said above it would fund the rebuild. Plus you then have a reliable engine.

It would most likely be cheaper to buy another engine but by doing that you are risking something else going wrong again lol.

If he had known even with thicker oil you would still have heard it knocking but if you dont know what your looking for then you had no chance. to you it could have been anything with a thicker oil and a loud exhaust there is no way you would have picked out quiet bottom end knock.

Unfortuneatly these things happen im afraid the bright side is that it looks like a clean example and if you sell un needed parts like I said above it would fund the rebuild. Plus you then have a reliable engine.

It would most likely be cheaper to buy another engine but by doing that you are risking something else going wrong again lol.

yeah good point thanks for the help mate

First thing to do would be to strip it down, not saying it has, but it could fucked a rod too, could have fucked the crank.

You need to inspect the crank to see if it's scored, if so, the crank needs to come out, get re--ground, and the acl bearing bought to match. I can't see it will have took a rod out. Although when I spun a shell, I fucked my rod, my crank to the point it had gone to far to re-grind.

If that was the case, a new engine would be cheaper. IF you could find one for the right money/know is working

no mate I said over 2k she paid 2500 for it without the wheels.

So she didnt even get those wheels? What is on it instead?

There are a couple of forged engines for sale aroung the 1200 mark on here if you have that knd of cash haha.

So she didnt even get those wheels? What is on it instead?

There are a couple of forged engines for sale aroung the 1200 mark on here if you have that knd of cash haha.

lol don't think she has that kinda money and it came on steelys cuz I had a set of rims off my civic that's we put on, didn't want them shit alloys,

lol don't think she has that kinda money and it came on steelys cuz I had a set of rims off my civic that's we put on, didn't want them shit alloys,

Shame buddy I hope she can get it sorted and enjoy it like she should.

Welcome.

Real shame that your having problems with it already.

I would say the owner probably knew the bottom end was going, so got rid while he could.

Used thicker oil to try cover it up, then once its off his drive, its sold the scene and there's nothing you can really do once you've handed the money over. :(

I hope everything works out for you and your girl friend.. :thumbsup: