Dirty dervs, best overall economy?

I'm looking at getting a dirrrty derv, im looking for ultimate cheap of cheap, anyone got any pointers of what to look at, my main concerns are tax cost, insurance cost, car cost and mpg.

Im looking to spend very little £500-1500 maybe

So far my thoughts are

1.5 dci Clio £20/30 tax p/a and 65 mpg

1.4 hdi 206 £30 tax and again 65mpg

1.4 tdci Fiesta £30 tax and again 65mpg

What else are similar? Anyone got any input

Yaris 1.4 d4d, I have a 02 reg £30 a year road tax, 40L tank and get 550-580 miles to a tank but I'm all motorway 50mile round trip. Basic granny spec car but does the job running about collecting parts for the starbo and going to work etc, also manage to fit a full cusco dash dodger roll cage for an impreza no probs.

I spent time looking for a cheap diesel for around £500-£1k and any half decent ones all need an engine or turbo in some form.

Everone wants a diesels and they all hold theyre value well. That said even a 2ltr diesel should only be £150 a year tax at the max anyway. Bare in mind though a diesel is only viable and cheap to run if you do alot of motorway miles. If your running about town your better off with a road eater.

You will struggle big time your best chance is a 106 diesel about an S reg. So basically a shit heap.

Anyway I gave up and spent £15k on a 320d haha.

as above only really viable if you do motorway mileage, at best you will see 50-55mpg again depends on your driving style....around town etc id just get s mk1/2 yaris to potter about in

My dirty Derve costs me a bit to insure, but considering it's a 2.2, heavy as fudge and I kick its its in I'm happy averaging 45-50mpg. Costs a bit to tax but nothing major, one uber plus point was that to insure something like a clio or fiesta I was looking at paying about £750 insurance :bad:

The diesel beast costs me £350 to insure so more than makes up for the tax difference lol and I can fit 2 bikes/a pumped up air bed in the back.

2002 Primera SE 8)

Dad get 60ish mpg with his 1.3 diesel panda, non motorway miles. Its not exactly what you'd call quick though lol. Does the job though, cheap insurance, insanely cheap to run and £35 a year tax. No idea if you'd get one for less than £1k though

Brought from where? lol

Look on eBay plenty on there buy it now for 1000-1500 from dealers 80k+ miles Clio 1.5 dci got my eyes on one near me £450 area cat c'd very slightly marked on rear quarter and front bumper and grilles been literally tapped. But new bumpers supplied.

Speeds not an issue ultimate Eco I'm looking for

Lol my mates gt tdi 150s pretty pokey but that 'gt' is going to up insurance and tax is hefty and mpg isn't massively great. I'm not after speed is be well happy with the 65 (yes 65!!!) bhp Clio dci

ive been in the same boat before looking for a dirty derv, golf tdi's audi's etc, my mate had a shitroen c3 that was averaging 46 - 50 around town and 60 - 66 ( digital display) motorway miles, i got a M reg 1L nissan micra as a cheap run about, garaged up by a granny and sold to my mate 2 or 3 years ago to build his no claims up then sold to me, the thing is bullet proof 56k on clock 12months mot 6month tax vibe 12" sub 6x9's aftermarket headunit all for £300 ;D cant remember how much tax is but insurance for me 2years, i dont have no caims is £58 a month :) Fuel wise, i drove to japfest in it with 4 people and back which was a 547mile all round trip cost me £50 :p as soon you go over 70 tho your fuel will disappear so i just cruise along 65 - 70 and doesnt cost a penny !

Edited by Joe20