EP95 drive train strengh

Hi guys, as my glanza is conning towards completion and really worrying about the lack of grip I'm going to have !

Its a stage 4 with a custom gtx kit and will be over 400bhp once its mapped that is a certain thing with the SPEC and ecu.

What I was going to do is get it running good then import an ep95 then swap everything over but what hp is the drive train good for?

Has anyone ran a constant 400+bhp through one not just 300odd with a burst of NOS ?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated esspeciallyy towards any gearbox/dogbox/diff options

Thanks Aaron

Sounds serious. Dont think anyone has went that far yet, the viscous coupling is ment to be the weak point of the system.

But if you are going to that extent you may aswell go full ST 205 running gear and engine swap haha.

Think you will be on your own with this one, only one way to find out

I had wondered that, main problem is the box tops out around 130mph iirc so would maybe need a custom box built, I'm sure the zisco lads would be up for it be then price wise it starts going up fast !

Sounds serious. Dont think anyone has went that far yet, the viscous coupling is ment to be the weak point of the system. But if you are going to that extent you may aswell go full ST 205 running gear and engine swap haha.

Il be staying 4EFTE untill I won't go any faster buddy !

Another thing is you can't buy off the shelf diffs. Would need some thing custom or a phantom grip

Ye that's the main thing, I did actually see a ep95 updated diff for sale a good few months back through Japanese performance.

But failing that like I said I would imagine Keith @zisco being able to do something as he does dog box setups for the c52 box

The gears are the same as the turbo c52 box but with a shorter 1st and possibly second? The final drive area is one that needs looking into

Do you know if they can be interchanged at all for the long ratios ?

My mate has a subaru justy with a swift turbo motor, also use a viscous coupling.

He removed his coupling and made a solid replacement prop section. But because he did this he had to weld his rear diff up to strengthen it because the viscous coupling dramatically reduced the amount of torque going through to the rear diff.

He is only running 215 whp but this has worked for him so far, so until you get another diff sorted this ''might" (and i say that not knowing) be your best option.

It also helped loads on his 1/4 mile times. Oh and he poly filled his prop and diff mounts as well. ;)

Its ok saying u will fix it when it breaks its gonna be hard to source parts for the drivetrain and no one as far as i know has removed the viscous coupling it could destroy the rear diff for all we know and thats gonna cost an arm n 2legs

Mines will never see that sort of power while i own it but if it dis i wouldnt want to be the first to try and break it

Im aiming for 350-380 and i say aiming as well you never know what will actualy come of the spec. Me ep85 i hope will takeit but i do have a back up plan if not haha (shhhhhhh grant, deebo n jake ;) ) as for gears i was talking with gaz at fest and he said you should see 140-145mph and i dont know if he rasied the rpm limit but i certianly will again given my spec. As for ratio the final drive can be altered to give a theretical 170+ mph top end but what that will do to the other gears and overall performance who knows as of yet but that is a project for the winter with mine. Over all a damn good fwd with lsd will take the power you are looking at well enough as just look at spuddys gt build! That cars insane on power!! The 4wds biggest downfalls are

1. No diffs available.

2. No known capability

3. Bloody expensive for new viscouse coupling

4. Stupid hard to get drive train parts for.

I

Im aiming for 350-380 and i say aiming as well you never know what will actualy come of the spec. Me ep85 i hope will takeit but i do have a back up plan if not haha (shhhhhhh grant, deebo n jake ;) ) as for gears i was talking with gaz at fest and he said you should see 140-145mph and i dont know if he rasied the rpm limit but i certianly will again given my spec. As for ratio the final drive can be altered to give a theretical 170+ mph top end but what that will do to the other gears and overall performance who knows as of yet but that is a project for the winter with mine. Over all a damn good fwd with lsd will take the power you are looking at well enough as just look at spuddys gt build! That cars insane on power!! The 4wds biggest downfalls are1. No diffs available.2. No known capability3. Bloody expensive for new viscouse coupling4. Stupid hard to get drive train parts for.

Thanks for that man, I was thinking about Gaz to be honest as he seams to be the go to man about these 4wd systems.

I think for me the best bet is to just import one and then play it be ear

• 11 months later...