New member knows nothing

Hi guys I have been driving imprezas for the last four or five years and I'm thinking about something different. Have considered an R33 GTR (too big) an EVO 6 TME (there s**t) and pulsar GTiR (minging cars)

Always fancied a glanza when i was younger but I know absolutely nothing about them and seemed to jump straight into the 2.0 turbo category cars :D

Would really appreciate some info on the glanza/starlet

Are they all FWD ? Could do with 4WD to be honest and a friend of mine seems to think that you can get 4WD ones, is this correct ??

Is it possible to get decent power and keep half decent MPG's, I currently get about 15MPG in the Scoob :(

Anyway currently driving an Impreza STi with just a touch under 400 BHP I'm going to need a glanza/starlet with some pretty tasty mods and at least 350BHP to keep me happy..

I have seen a nice red one for sale in Manchester for about £4,000 but like I say I know nothing about them and would prefer a 4WD if its at all possible.

I do have quite a large budget if the Scooby sells I will be looking at about £7,000-£8,000 :)

Welcome to UKSO!

Yes there are 4WD ones, however there are imported as N/A you would need to do a turbo conversion. You could do all sortes with £7-8k, check out the trader sections, alot offer forged packages & turbo kits.

There are also some tuning guides in the wiki section might be worth have a look at.

Welcome bud,

You can indeed get 4wd starlets but they are unfortunately all N/A and rather hard to get hold of! there is an EP85 (older 4wd starlet) and the EP95 (glanza shape)

There are a couple of conversions going on at the moment which could be of interest....

MPG is also good but then again depends on whether you have a lead foot or not!

With regards to needing a very powerful starlet to keep up with your scoob, I would think a 250bhp one would suffice :)

You have to remember these are very light cars so don't need half as much power to shift ;)

I am sure with your expected budget you will be able to pick up a very nice example and still have a loada change for further mods :D

Welcome along matey, first of all yes you can get 4wd but they are rare as anything !

300bhp will give your scoob a run for its money any day of the week.

7-8k could buy a very well built glanza but you would struggle to build one to that SPEC for that money, my engine set up has cost more then that alone !

Fuel economy is the same as everything its how you drive it.

The red one I would imagine is Craig's, a fantastic base to start from as its seriously clean

Thanks for the replies guys its a bit crazy that the higher powered turbo charged cars are FWD and the 4WD ones are N/A only lol

Never mind maybe I could look into converting one but if they are as hard to find as you guys say then I might just have to put up with a FWD and keep the Scoob for winter :D

I have an old VF35 turbo in the shed that I took off the STi and was wondering if I could fit that to a glanza, I have noticed a few running a TD04 Subaru turbo but they are the turbos we usually throw in the bin as they run out of puff way to easy. The VF35 turbos are a very similar setup just a little bit bigger

That's jappense for you always doing random stuff, you can import one for around £2500.

Td04's are pretty good on these engine's to be honest but for the 300+bhp it would be too small and max out just before !

The vf will see good hp and still have a fairly good spool along with it.

Cool thanks Azz and yea I have just been looking at the for sale section and it seems it is craigs car I was looking at on eBay it's very nice looking. I do like to find out as much about car types I might buy before I get one so it might be some time before I get one yet.

I would highly recommend Craig's V its a lovely car but to take it over the 300 mark you would need a forged lump, engine management, manifold to suit your vf turbo plus all supporting mods which cost will build up fast

Yea Azz I kind of get the feeling that would go well over my budget. I built my Scoob myself and know how it works you buy all the bits then loose 90% of what you have spent on the car when you sell it so I would be much better off buying one that's been done already.

I know I won't get the same build satisfaction but I have been there done that and you loose way too much money :(

The satisfaction is not worth the financial loss

TD04L on a 2litre engine... They will run out of puff quick!

on a 1.3l engine... There perfect for the stock engine!

Check out the Tuning Guides in the WIKI...

I just bought a TD04 for a friend for £50 the Subaru guys do literally throw them away lol..

I have drive a Scoob with a TD04 and the spool time was fantastic so I could well imagine they would run very well on a 1.3 engine :D

Well your in the right place to find one fella, if you have a budget that high then I'm sure you'll get a decent spec starlet.

Get a wanted thread up and see how you go

Ive driven a 380bhp scooby... and a glanza with 250bhp...

In terms of Cheap Thrills..

The Glanza was more fun to drive and faster...

Dont get me started on rarity! lol :)

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear as I'm sick to death of subarus and I get no joy out of mine now..

However I have driven small fast cars c20let novas, lancia delta HF evos, vtec turbod old school minis and they do seem to be a hell of a lot faster than they actually are.

Welcome along :)

With your sort of budget you can buy a well spec'd forged motor. They do crop up from time to time, but most tend to get broken unfortunately as like you say, you loose too much money if the car is sold as one.

To get to 250bhp in a starlet is relatively simple and fairly cheap. To get 400bhp the cost easily quadruples.

Welcome to UKSO :)

I run a forged V @1.4 bar and see 278bhp and 260 lbft torque and it weighs all of 900 kg tops I would say get a car with the lsd box and then go from there

Mine puts a massive grin on my face every time my drive it and it will run most car's if you know what I mean

Plenty of advice and support for you on here

John

John

Welcome to ukso

One thing you will find with this forum is it's full of absolute idiots that know nothing!!!!

hahah only joking mate this is the best forum i've ever signed up too and the help and guides you need are all on here and a lot of the guys and traders on here no there stuff so you will have no problems

i'm running 237bhp on a stock block and it's immense and keep up with most scoobys and high powered cars so with the money you have even if you only tuned one to 300bhp on a forged lump it would feel so much faster than an sti and beat it with ease...

Not just that but they are good quality cars and most people look after them...

good luck finding one but just don't believe everything people say about there BHP as a lot of people make it up hahahaha

and welcome