read this about heat wrapping and its very interesting

Its not that heat wrapping doesnt work, its more that headers are more prone to warp and crack if made to reach higher tempratures. I would also expect the metal and manufacturing process to be a massive factor in the headers lifespan. Mild steel is far less likly to warp and crack than stainless steel, for instance.

I agree that ceramic coating is better, from what I've seen anwyay. But I wouldn't say that heat wrap is useless by any means.

There was a more constructive test done a little while back, can't remember what car or forum, think it was posted on here anyhow, where some guy did an experiment by actually placing a themometer around the engine bay to measure temps, stock, with heat wrap, and with heat + reflective tape. All products from DEI, and he did have very good results in terms of keeping heat out of the engine bay.

That said, it does come down to the material of the metal you use, if the race teams actually used what they should have been using, ie Inconel they wouldn't have had a problem. using materials such as stainless and mild steel are ok for street application, but are no where near man enough for racing.

Edited by AdamB

Sounds like a salesman for jet hot coatings lol

I wrapped mine for 2 reasons.

My itbs are at the back of my bay with no cold air supply so the air passing over the manifold would get heated up.

And they were 2nd hand and not in best nick so wrapping them covered it up and looked better lol

Ment to add spool time y0 !!

And i had my full system wrapped from the 'header' lol right down to the backbox.

I cant say it increased spool because i also messed about with the EBC and intake on the same day.

But it made it paaap paaap paaap and bang, b-bang, so defo a winner haha.