What ecu to use?

yeah true but you could have a better tune on your emu than a standalone, tuner dependent as you say.

basically find a tuner and go with his suggestion.

if you buy him/you an ecu he is confident on then he just may do a good job, but nothing guaranteed.

Phil

Edited by Philm

Honestly cant be bothered to quote the post.... but seriously.

Like Adam among others has said and tried to explain.... if you've spent your good money on a forged engine, a decent turbo and you want your car to be running sweet. The ecu is the most important item on a tuning list of mods end of. Why the hell would you even consider an apexi, greddy or any other of them pants out dated expensively cheep shits and put them in your car.

Its like these so-called high powered starlets that you see up for sale. One look at the spec list can quickly tell you were they might be having problems.

Don't get me wrong, you can get those ecus to work... but it would be a struggle. You get what you pay for.

And before a noob memeber replies.... ive had, used and played with several ecus on my glanza.... I'll list them all...

1. Greddy emanage blue

2. Greddy emanage ultimate

3. HKS Fcon V Pro

4. Haltech PS1000

5. Syvecs (Life racing) F88R (current ecu)

I can tell you now, if I was to do it all again I would never had put ecu 1,2, or 3 on my car.

Until you realise how much a decent standalone ecu can extract every ounce of performance from the mods that you have made then you my friend will be running around like everyone else on half-baked tuning setups.

It truly sickens me to read this over and over again; I am by no means having ago at you pal. When when you've been around the scene for the last 8 plus years...etc.

Can't remember what else I was gonna say now....

Ohh yeah remember now....

Some people rightfully claim they have 300, 350, 400bhp, etc. Which is great on a foot to the floor power run.... what about the rest of the more import 90-95% tuning that still remains to be done.

Most of you are driving around unaware at how badly your car has been tuned yet making "big power". Same has happened to me especially when running piggy packs ecus.

On the day of tune the car will be running great... then next month not running right, or first thing in the morning won't start, or while its raining it cuts out occasionally, or ..... I can go on and on.

What I'm trying to say is doing once and do it right....GO STANDALONE!!!

It's not even that expensive to do so like maybe once before, and I'll bet you any money that:

1. You'll potentially save money

2. That you won't regret

D3N0.... Peace out!¡!

Honestly cant be bothered to quote the post.... but seriously.

my post? as you will read above im all for standalone ECUs

my only point was a crap tuner will make a mess of any tune on any ecu.

Phil

Edited by Philm

my post? you haven't picked any holes in it by the way, and as you will read above im all for standalone ECUs

my only point was a crap tuner will make a mess of any tune on any ecu.

Phil

No Phil

Not you at all, and following on from what you said about bad tuners... the piggy pack ecu covers them up. Well as best as they can... lol

No Phil

Not you at all, and following on from what you said about bad tuners... the piggy pack ecu covers them up. Well as best as they can... lol

No problem, granted they arent the best but i still feel they are in keeping with a basic forged engine/td04 setup.

we have mapped emu in N.I. for yonks and though alot of standalones are better, (chris has mapped plenty of standalones) emu still does its job on a budget.

and they are only expensive because people persist in trying to flog them for mega bucks like 500quid for a setup with sensors/loom.

if you mean people spending that sort of money on secondhand piggybacks are nuts then i totally agree.

if your going to be 500quid out of pocket?! then make sure you tuner isnt getting and easy ride with an emu, have him under the dash with a megasquirt or omex LOL

Phil

Edited by Philm

Personally I wouldn't spend 500 quid on a piggyback when you can get a DTA/Omex and maybe some others for an extra 50 quid or so.

If you keep your ears to the ground on forums you can find the likes of Motec's, Syvec's, Life Racing from the big boys with supra's, scoobys selling them off pretty cheap.

Edited by AdamB

No problem, granted they arent the best but i still feel they are in keeping with a basic forged engine/td04 setup.

we have mapped emu in N.I. for yonks and though alot of standalones are better, (chris has mapped plenty of standalones) emu still does its job on a budget.

and they are only expensive because people persist in trying to flog them for mega bucks like 500quid for a setup with sensors/loom.

if you mean people spending that sort of money on secondhand piggybacks are nuts then i totally agree.

if your going to be 500quid out of pocket?! then make sure you tuner isnt getting and easy ride with an emu, have him under the dash with a megasquirt or omex LOL

Phil

Exactly my point....

You know what I'll put it in the simplest way I can think off...

You and girlfriend been together for 3-4years, she does everything right to keep you happy.

So you then decide I found the one and agree to get married.

You aint got the best job in the world, so you work, beg and borrow so that your wife to be has the best wedding day ever.

So you get £30,000 together and you blow it all on the wedding day except £1.

Damn it... £1 remaining and you forgot to buy the most important thing.... the wedding ring.... the thing that she will look at and remember why she puts up with your ass.

But hay no bother.... you got out an buy a pack of haribos and use the chewy ring from the packet.

That chewy haribo ring is your ecu.

That wife to be is your beloved Ep.

Decide better what to do with your money whether it's £30,000 or £10,000 for a whole build.

D3N0

Edited by D3N0

Theres more reasons behind going for a standalone than just power capabilites.

Motec's are very good, been around for years and are very reliable. I agree there is better things out there, the only thing that lets them down is they are very rarely updated compared to the likes of Syvecs etc, but then the updates are mainly to do with new features which can't be used on a 15+year old starlet anyway.

Hell if I had the money I would have a Pectel, but they are mega money.

Yea this is true, i just dont like how everything is extra on them, but yes, they are a very very good ecu in the sense of just the map..and its awesome your putting one in your ep as this thread has proved far too little people do use something decent.

Anything over 300bhp is a pretty big spec on a starlet, you dont see people with 800bhp supra's running piggybacks lol.

Think everyone has cleared that up so i wont add anything else.. Standalone is the way to go...

Yea this is true, i just dont like how everything is extra on them, but yes, they are a very very good ecu in the sense of just the map..and its awesome your putting one in your ep as this thread has proved far too little people do use something decent.

Anything over 300bhp is a pretty big spec on a starlet, you dont see people with 800bhp supra's running piggybacks lol.

Think everyone has cleared that up so i wont add anything else.. Standalone is the way to go...

Exactly my point....

You know what I'll put it in the simplest way I can think off...

You and girlfriend been together for 3-4years, she does everything right to keep you happy.

So you then decide I found the one and agree to get married.

You aint got the best job in the world, so you work, beg and borrow so that your wife to be has the best wedding day ever.

So you get £30,000 together and you blow it all on the wedding day except £1.

Damn it... £1 remaining and you forgot to buy the most important thing.... the wedding ring.... the thing that she will look at and remember why she puts up with your ass.

But hay no bother.... you got out an buy a pack of haribos and use the chewy ring from the packet.

That chewy haribo ring is your ecu.

That wife to be is your beloved Ep.

Decide better what to do with your money whether it's £30,000 or £10,000 for a whole build.

D3N0

I understand your points dont get me wrong, ESPECIALLY if you have spent XXXX on a build, go standalone.

But an EMU is in keeping with a 80quid second hand td04/05 or a 100quid IHI turbo.... for the fellas on a tighter budget.

I get your point that guys running 800hp supras arent likely to be running a piggyback, but then they arent getting there with 2nd hand stock turbos from 2.0turbo cars?

Its a whole other playing field and a whole other budget.

But just to reiterate as previously mentioned, standalone around the 600quid mark that your tuner likes is the way to go over spending 550 odd on a secondhand EMU.

but if you can grab a EMU for 250-300 and it does the job with your 100quid turbo strapped to you forged engine (which still probably has a stock inlet mani, cams, valvetrain, crank, end caps etc) and it suits your budget then i wont call you stupid for one second. But D3NO might lol

Lots of love and jokes..

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

well that's cleared the air haha cheers lads.

since I last looked at this I have purchaced a emu with pnp loom and 3bar map sensor for mega mega cheap, seeing as my of most income goes into my bank then falls out my arse straight away. I cant justify sending masses of money on a standalone when nobody maps them round here.

I really just wanna get the motor in and running soon then she will be coming off the road as my daily. and who knows while shes off the road I plan on changing a lot of things which will include the management and fuel system.

cheers for all your information lads