What ecu to use?

EMU would be the minimum I would run tbh.

What injectors and boost do you plan on running? I think at anything around the 1.7 bar mark you'll start blowing out the spark so you'll need to go for an ecu which has 4 ignition outputs.

EMU would be the minimum I would run tbh.

What injectors and boost do you plan on running? I think at anything around the 1.7 bar mark you'll start blowing out the spark so you'll need to go for an ecu which has 4 ignition outputs.

Gunna be running denso 460cc but enough boost to see 300bhp round 1.5bar

You'll be ok with the EMU, but you won't be able to use injectors beyond 550's, or if you do you'll find controlling them will be a struggle. 1.5 bar will be ok on the ignition side of things, but I think you'll have to run pretty small spark plug gaps.

You may want to check out Dean's Haltech he is selling, its only £550 which is a bargain, and they are very very easy to map. I believe he has a loom for it as well, but may need a couple of connectors.

DTA S40's are only £530 to buy new im running one good ecus for the money and there standalone you can have launch control, coil plug etc plus lots stuff its worth looking in to one of them mate

The CR isn't a problem.

I just worked out that at 300bhp with 90% duty you'll need 466cc injectors, I wouldn't like to see anymore than around 92% duty personally. So if you make more than 300bhp you will need larger injectors than the 460's.

The CR isn't a problem.

I just worked out that at 300bhp with 90% duty you'll need 466cc injectors, I wouldn't like to see anymore than around 92% duty personally. So if you make more than 300bhp you will need larger injectors than the 460's.

Cheers ad, ah man never mind just put um back for sale, and try and find some. 550s

• 4 weeks later...

Bump on this. When my car is back on the road i will eventually want it mapping but still unsure on which ECU to go for.

Minimum im thinking off is EMU

Spec is

Ported and polished head

Fully forged 5E

VF24 PNP Turbo

And all the other usual supporting mods

Will i have a decent setup on this if i use 3SGE Injectors (Pink or greens available) at around 1.4-1.5 Bar?

Or is a standalone needed? Want to see 300bhp really

Thanks

Haltech, Link, Omex, DTA are all good ecu's that will do what you want for not very much money. If you keep an eye on ebay you can also pick up Motec M4's pretty cheap, although you won't be able to run sequential ignition.

I would always choose the best ecu you can afford, its the most important part of any build.

Excellent point i suppose being the most important part! As above im not going for massive boost and power so i would probably keep the standard ignition etc, would just prefer the ability to get a proper map on it and be more precise than an Emanage

Would settle for a Motec M400 Easily enough i suppose!

Also what do people think of Emerald ECUs? The K3 for example?

Thanks

Edited by The Toffinator

Motec M400 is what I have and their not cheap! lol, looking at around £2000 just for the unit itself. M4's are an older generation, can be had for around the £550 mark second hand, maybe cheaper if you get lucky.

Emerald are good ecu's, been around for a long time and the software is easy to use.

if you can afford a billet turbo..

then a standalone isn't that far off in price..

I run a n omex 600 and its 550 pounds if your competent with wiring and maching for a trigger wheel you can do it for a grand..

and any reputable mapper should be able to map omex or aem which is same software..

I went from emu to omex 600, forget outright power, but driveability and control and safety on a standalone is far superior to an EMU..

I havent got a billet turbo dude i have a ported and polished VF24 I bought for £120 Lol

The tuner quoted me many months ago about 1100 Fitted and mapped on an emerald, Wouldnt mind getting a new quote and see what he reccomends.

I Am competent enough with wiring, is it a case of wiring a loom up yourself?

And yeh heard off somebody before OMEX And AEM are the same software so that might be an option

You can go two ways with tbe wiring, either make up a field harness to plug into the existing engine loom, then just add some more for any features you want etc. Or just make a whole new loom, I prefer the latter as its much neater, depends how much time you got on your hands and how anal you wanna be lol.

I dont understand peoples obsession with motec, yea they are good, but there is better things out there now.

Dont get a PFC imo, totally not worth the money, and if your not going for a massive spec, yes and EMU would suffice, but again a standalone like a link etc will be better.

Theres more reasons behind going for a standalone than just power capabilites.

Motec's are very good, been around for years and are very reliable. I agree there is better things out there, the only thing that lets them down is they are very rarely updated compared to the likes of Syvecs etc, but then the updates are mainly to do with new features which can't be used on a 15+year old starlet anyway.

Hell if I had the money I would have a Pectel, but they are mega money.