Valve clearance adjusting

Yeah its called a micrometer and feeler blades. You need to rotate the cam so that the lobe base is at the bottom, slip your feeler gauge in and check to see if it has the correct clearance. If not measure the shim with a micrometer and alter the size or buy more shims to give you the correct clearance.

• 4 weeks later...

Machinist or scrappy is your best bet. Don't even need to be a 4efe just take a tappet with you and check loads of different cars if it fits snug its usuable.

I think Toyota want like £8 a shim or something mad considering its a bit of metal ground to a certain thickness. :/

I saw one there a few days ago :o didnt really think about it at the time I was looking for things for my golf lol might pop down there today

Does it matter what bucket sits over what valve? when i did my rebuild I numbered each one in a box for each valve, and it never tapped before? whats changed? I put them all back in the same order

Edited by EPnick22

I think i might know what the tapping was, after my engine started knocking the other week, got the sump off last night, spun a big end shell on crank journal no.1, I think i didnt take out enough when I notched the block and the rod was skimming the bore, full fresh rebuild now to flush it all :(