Turbo timer, where is it?!

Hi guys, I've just bought this, hope you can see it cause the advert may have been removed completely:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/starlet/facelift-model-toyota-glanza-v-1-3-turbo/1762102?utm_source=share

Either way, it's a Glanza :)

It's standard apart from a Blitz cat-back, HKS filter and a turbo timer.

Trouble is, neither me or the trader selling the car can find the turbo timer!

It works, and works fine, it seems to be set to about 30-45 seconds, but it's not in the car, or at least anywhere visible..

Any ideas where to look??

Many thanks, Chris.

How is anyone on here supposed to know where a turbo timer is on YOUR car lol?

Lol, I know what you're saying.. I just meant is there a common place people install them that's out of sight? It's nowhere inside that I can see, I could spend hours searching under the dash or around the engine bay, or somebody could say 'oh, a few members have stuck them under so-and-so behind the dash and connected to such-and-such wire' :p

When you turn the car off mate can you hear a beeping?

No mate not that I can remember, there's no alarm, key fob or anything. It's got the central locking but that's by a manual key.

Haven't read the ins an outs nor the ad but bear in mind some aftermarket alarm systems have inbuilt turbo timers

Yea really should have mentioned that in fact the "turbo timer" I put in my car is nothing more than a relay that holds the ignition power for a couple of seconds so could possibly be similar

Edited by DudFunk

Well, I don't have an alarm - yet. I'm gonna get a Cat alarm / immobiliser fitted with remote central locking..

So I'd imagine this would need to be incorporated into the TT to avoid any conflicts (like a relay or something that activates the immobiliser when the TT turns off?)

Anyway cheers guys, I'll start there and report back when I've got it next Saturday :hi:

Edit: @DudFunk, that's interesting! Something I'll consider too, might be harder to trace if it's simply a relay fitted somewhere eh?

Edited by smithyithy

Edit: @DudFunk, that's interesting! Something I'll consider too, might be harder to trace if it's simply a relay fitted somewhere eh?

I put my turbo timer relay in behind the clocks nice neat job 8) but I have learned to respect to speedo cable that thing is a bitch to get back on!

I had a Cat 1 toad in mine when I bought it I hated it ripped it out and got an Autowatch 2 way immobilizing alarm with all the bells and whistles very happy with it the speaker siren and back-up siren is LOUD!!!

Edited by DudFunk

Is it an optional extra one? In that case there is a switch where the mirrors adjust.

!!!!!!

A square / rectangular toggle switch??

There was one there, but I could've sworn it was for the aftermarket rear fog :unknw:

Dud - can you recall the model / price etc? I'll have a look if you're recommending it. I want a decent one anyway, remote start would be sweet too over the winter!

!!!!!!

There was one there, but I could've sworn it was for the aftermarket rear fog :unknw:

Dud - can you recall the model / price etc? I'll have a look if you're recommending it. I want a decent one anyway, remote start would be sweet too over the winter!

Are you asking for the alarm model number or the Relay?

The Alarm is an Autowatch 457rli I cant say how much it would cost as I got a whole bunch of other bits with it (customised central locking, aftermarket security locks all round like used on cigarette vans etc as well as few other bits and bobs) so best bet would be to ring around just remember it can be the best alarm in the world if it installed badly its more or less useless if a good thief gets there hands on your car!

Its a highly recommended alarm arguably one of the best in the world was developed by a South African company and has an excellent track record have a google of it there see if its for you definitely not as flashy as say a clifford etc but I hate them stupid fobs they give you with them anyway I always think if I lost my keys or I had to empty my pockets into a bowl Id rather have an understated fob with just a few buttons rather than the stupid LCD screened ones that are becoming more prevalent now!

Edited by DudFunk

!!!!!!

Yeah, would be a toggle switch, can't speak from experience, but as far as I am aware is 3mins 1min off.

What's up gang, after a bit of investigation and panel removal, I found this:

10391035983_090d99b5bd.jpg Turbo Timer by Smithyithy, on Flickr

10391042403_d4d479d9c0.jpg Turbo Timer by Smithyithy, on Flickr

This is how the switches were set (sorry for the shit focus):

10390899386_7b9bbffedd.jpg Turbo Timer by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Flicked that off and that seems to have deactivated it, so it's ready for alarm installation :)

I left it wired up though cause there were a LOT of wires, and I didn't want to risk messing up anything.

And yes, I gave that panel a thorough clean before refitting ;)

Ah, on some random site I've found a PDF of the instruction manual.. All Japanese, but the diagrams are pretty clear, so I may be able to remove it at some point..

It turns out the random little aerial that's stuck in the corner of dash is connected to it too...