• 2 months later...

Road tune does have its place thou and in my experience they both have merits - especially if your starting fresh with a new ecu and/or money conscious.

I tend to get a car going and then road tune first to get the majority of the map close and spend a good amount of time on the light load/cruise. Heavy load can be setup on the motorway without getting in too much trouble but it is hard on the car loading up on the brakes. You can save considerable dyno time that way. Then I tend to head to the dyno for overall checking and specific load areas ie full load at max rpm. It can all depend on the setup too. I've got a big database of tunes saved now so can quite quickly adjust to suit a specific setup. Have had a few where the majority has been road tuned and have only needed a short period on the dyno to finish off as they've been pretty close. As stated above its good to re check on the road after as its real world conditions rather than stationary on a dyno.

Should really expand on my "It can all depend on the setup too" statement - with more serious setups it can be plain dangerous on the street and everyone should use caution and limitations based on the setup of the car. Had a customer only last week with a big GTX series turbo on a 5e that was very laggy (4500rpm build and 5000prm on boost) and it wasn't practical to tune much of the load above base wastegate pressure (6psi) on the street. The brakes weren't up to the task of holding 2nd/3rd gear to the rev limit at much more than that - where as the dyno is definitely the place for that with the controlled braking.

I know a few top level guys over here that say the best place to make a tune perfect is on the track/strip as its real world situations, especially with the single digit passes etc.

• 3 weeks later...