Fitting a decat...Advice on boost creep afterwards..

So bought a decat and im itching to fit it.

I have a standard engine, bar a filter, dumpvalve and HKS exhaust.

Can i fit the decat without having to remove the front bumper etc?

I know it's 3 or 4 bolts up the top, but i really cant be doing with removing half the front end for better access?.

also, its a "braced" decat. Where does the brace bolt to give it support?

Thanks

EDIT: From looking around i could experience boost creep. I understand i can avoid this by fitting a boost gauge to monitor it etc. But that still doesn't stop you from being able to open it up throughout the rev range without issues?..Im abit puzzled as to where i can take it from here tuning wise..

Edited by Zeldoz

I fitted mine without removing the front bumper or radiator. Saying that it would have been easier to do both. 4 bolts up top and three to the exhaust. Than a few pain in the arse bolts bracing the cat. you'll see where the brace bolts go when you've fitted it!

I fitted mine without removing the front bumper or radiator. Saying that it would have been easier to do both. 4 bolts up top and three to the exhaust. Than a few pain in the arse bolts bracing the cat. you'll see where the brace bolts go when you've fitted it!

Okay, roughly how long did it take you?

22 or 23mm if i remember correctly

Thanks dude.

The only thing im worrying about now is that if i fit the decat without a boost gauge it may be overboosting? I dont want to be hitting fuel cut constantly etc?..

You think on a standard engine it will be ok?

Depends how much difference the decat actually makes tbh. With a japspeed catback and decat system and the airfilter in the standard place, i get boost creep in 4 and 5th in cooler weather and i'm running 0.7bar with HKS adjustable actuator. I can see this on the boost gauge and let off before fuel cut. I'm planning on getting the turbo out and porting the wastegate, as the weathers only gonna get colder. If i was you i'd get a boost gauge asap!

Depends how much difference the decat actually makes tbh. With a japspeed catback and decat system and the airfilter in the standard place, i get boost creep in 4 and 5th in cooler weather and i'm running 0.7bar with HKS adjustable actuator. I can see this on the boost gauge and let off before fuel cut. I'm planning on getting the turbo out and porting the wastegate, as the weathers only gonna get colder. If i was you i'd get a boost gauge asap!

I have the same setup. Air filter in standard place, catback..decat to go on..

I just dont want to cause damage to the engine by fitting the decat... As i wont be able to see the boost.

either wait and get a boost gauge before the decat, or decat it take it steady and get a boost gauge asap. TBF i only see the creep if i proper boot it and it takes a while to build up to fuel cut level. You'll be fine if you take it easy

Tbh a gauge would be no1 priority for me, can never be too safe, id wait and get one fitted matey, better safe than sorry!

This ...........

Best to be safe than sorry and if you get a gauge with peak mode ( not sure if that's what it's called ) it will beep when you hit your limit and your see if it creeping then :)

James

Edited by jimmymac101

I'd rather be safe than sorry in all honestly. It's not massively important to fit this right now. But, i have it and it would be nice to do it. But i can wait.

How can i stop the boost creep etc then?

As end of the month ill be doing the airfilter relocation, removing aircon and fitting a FMIC along with a unsilenced HKS midsection.

Then id like to fit the decat.. Im guessing the only way to avoid the boost creep is fitting my adjustable HKS actuator or going to a Emanage setup?

fair enough bud.. the airfilter relocation will make it even worse, that with an FMIC is my next purchase too. I have a HKS adjustable and it will still creep. The best way round it is to get the turbo off and port the wastegate. I plan on doing this next week

Im no expert in cars at all, just teach myself as i go along. Im planning on taking the whole turbo unit out. Then with a dremmel grinding away at the wastegate making it slightly bigger which will reduce the creep. I can let you know how i get on! and you could consider giving that a go? Otherwise i've heard of people taping up part of the airfilter to reduce creep. Theres lots of threads and information out there on this!

Im no expert in cars at all, just teach myself as i go along. Im planning on taking the whole turbo unit out. Then with a dremmel grinding away at the wastegate making it slightly bigger which will reduce the creep. I can let you know how i get on! and you could consider giving that a go? Otherwise i've heard of people taping up part of the airfilter to reduce creep. Theres lots of threads and information out there on this!

Yeah i read into widening the wastegate on TGTT.. But, got put off as the turbo unit isn't so big reducing the size can greatly increase the chances of cracking especially as they run stupidly hot.

I wonder if using the standard airbox without the OEM cold air intake would help....

Yeah i read into widening the wastegate on TGTT.. But, got put off as the turbo unit isn't so big reducing the size can greatly increase the chances of cracking especially as they run stupidly hot.

I wonder if using the standard airbox without the OEM cold air intake would help....

I'll bet you'll find yours has a crack in it already!

i had full exhaust on mine with decat and front mount air filter years ago and ran fine for about 6 months with no boost gauge till i wanted more power

I just want to make sure i know the pro's/con's to this before i takle it after work (if i decide too)...

If it creeps.. is it likely to be a damaging amount on such a standard engine?