anyone ever made DIY polybush mounts ?

right guys before anyone gets on there high horse about how unsafe it is blah blah blah,

do some research like I have its been done billions of times and there is literally hundreds of guides on it but anyway on with the topic...........

I found a post via google of a guy that had done it on paseo engine mounts so I reckon it can be done on starlets to

I have a spare split top engine mount which I probably will never use again so I thought this would make a little project to play about with

so this is what I found out so far,

mounts must be made from polyurethane the general census is using 60A or 80A grade window sealer which is pretty damn hard to get hold of in the uk but im guessing you could probably buy a tube from autoglass or such like.

there seems to be 2 methods used in how to do it you can either fill the gaps of the original rubber or if the mount rubber has failed it can be removed and remoulded in the mount which is what I wanna try.

so you need to clean out all the old rubber and clean all grease and oil off using brake cleaner or similar then block off the ends of the mount using gaffer tape or similar make sure the spigot is centred and basically fill it up it with polyurethane its needs around 48hours to cure but I would say around a week before fitting.

Id like to end up with something like this although this is a rear mount with wings cut off

IMG_2903_zpscfdea57f.jpg

Im not saying I will ever use the mount but just wondered if anyone else had ever done this using a similar method as it seems a pretty common mod

I know this topic will cause controversy but its only an idea and I havnt done it so please be gentle :D

Edited by russ78

People on the ae111 forum do it and I know a guy that charges to do it just with different coloured poly.

They are harsh as fuck though been in a dc2 with them and the whole car rattled and I mean everything.

Some people drill holes in them to soften them up to reduce the harshness.

I did it...

On my new build with TRD Mounts, used the high grade black marine sikaflex. Mounts are pretty solid, does vibrate etc but not mega! Nice upgrade fo sure

With TRD mounts? why didnt you just buy polly ones lol

I did it...

On my new build with TRD Mounts, used the high grade black marine sikaflex. Mounts are pretty solid, does vibrate etc but not mega! Nice upgrade fo sure

what did you use to block ends of mount off gaffer tape ?

With TRD mounts? why didnt you just buy polly ones lol

Damn right, and because poly mounts you have to press in etc which i couldnt be arsed playing about with, and i dont see much difference beetween TRD mounts and stock really! thought i would make a proper job of them while i was there.

what did you use to block ends of mount off gaffer tape ?

And nothing mate,just keep pressing it in until it was solid, wet your finger and it stops it sticking and makes it smooth (Few photos in my thread)

I think theres quite abit of difference between the TRD mounts and oem! When i had my mounts realy solid it always felt like the bottom gearbox mount was going to snap off when changing gear fast as theres no play what so eve! Where as i never had that feeling when i was running TRD mounts on my old V!

And the polly ones dont need to be pressed in dude they just sit in the mount its self!