n/a 4e crank same as turbo crank ? if not what can a n/a crank take

Depends what kinda build your doing, if its a stock build the crank would be the last of my worries. If its a forged motor then providing its static and dynamically balanced I see no reason why it can't take as much as a turbo crank.

Lol back to that old chessnut. That's purely the engine builder/owners decision, but balancing the rotating assembly is one of the very few procedures I would personally take in building a motor.

The list of machine work to carry out on an engine is quite defined and in all honesty I've not seen many people carry out half the things when building a proper blueprinted motor.

List of things I would advise when building a motor:

Crack test the block and head

Line bore the main bearings

Bore the cylinders

Check cylinder wall thickness

Ensure cylinders are 90 degrees to crank centreline

Crack test the crankshaft

Check crankshaft straightness

Crack test rods, if using stock items and shot peen

Balance rotating assembly

Thats all before you even get to check what size bearings you need or check oil clearances.

Edited by AdamB

Edited post mate.

Cranks tend to last quite a while if the pistons and rods are lighter, along with not going too mental on the rpm limits, but most peoples turbos will run out of puff before the crank rpm becomes an issue.

I'm sure RobH is still using the N/A crank and hes over 300bhp I think.

Edited by AdamB

The early N/A uses the 4ET crank and the later ones use the 4E crank mine is the 4E crank. The early ones are the same as the turbo cranks but the later 4efe used a different crank. going on this theres only the 1982 GT that has a different crank!

1999 glanza 13401‑11061

1982 GT 13401‑11060

1999 N/A 13401‑11061

1996 N/A 13401‑11061