Glanza Chassis Upgrades - where to start?

After getting used to the way the Glanza drives, and giving it some beans on various types of roads, I've concluded that it handles a bit shit.

Now I do need some better tyres, but they'll have to come with my new wheels, which at ~£800, won't be too soon. Likewise, a set of MeisterR's will need a bit of saving for.

In the mean time I'm sure I can try to cure the wallowy ride, body roll and dive under braking..

My question is.. how? I've looked at the front and rear ARB kits, panhard rods, strut braces / lower bars, anti-lift kits, where shall I start? Is there a general 'order' in which to start installing / upgrading these parts?

For the rear strut brace I was looking at the Zisco one, and then combining it with their C-pilar X-brace so the whole 'upper rear' of the car is sorted..

Definitely poly bushes though, but I'm really confused at to which kit, as there seems to be loads?! On Powerflex's website they list a 'front wishbone rear anti lift kit' ??

What Dan said. Couple of new ball joints and track rod ends will help if they haven't been done in the last 5 years.

Tyres are a must.

Then an anti lift kit. And I'd consider doing the front wishbone bushes whilst you're at it.

From there if you plan on running coilovers that's what I would get next. However if you budget allows. I strongly recommend getting an LSD easily the biggest confidence boost I've had in my car

Imo the rear arb made no difference on my car as I already had coilovers and the 24mm whiteline one made it understeer more. I preferred it with the stock farb with poly mounts and drop links.

I'd say if you were running shocks with lowering springs the arb's would be more noticeable.

Wicked, thanks guys. So Balljoints and Track Rods - are they easy to come by from car spares stores? Ie. Glanza specific or just basic Starlet fitment?

I hate doing balljoints so I'll probably get a garage to do them and make sure the tracking is all good while they're at it..

Can get them off traders on here ;) The tracking will need done after the track rod ends yeah.

This is where it becomes a pain with handling mods, after fitting handling mods, the tracking will need checked almost every time you fit something haha. Taking off lower arms etc disturbs the alignment.

Simple things first, new track rod ends, new ball joints and i bet you'll notice a difference ;)

Then move onto the more expensive stuff.

This. Then RARB, ALK/wishbone polybushing at the same time, Rear brace.

Tyres, before anything else fit good tyres.

Good tyres are not Yokohama Pradas either, I've never seen a sidewall flex like the ones that previous owner of my car fitted, dreadful.

595rsr are a good cheap road/track tyre, start there.

Edited by TimD

Rear arb, dont get a bigger front one ull get more understeer. Coilovers make huge difference and then just lsd in my opinion. And for the dive get an antilift kit. Heard they are a bitch to fit.

Good tyres are not Yokohama Pradas either, I've never seen a sidewall flex like the ones that previous owner of my car fitted, dreadful.

For sure. I'm getting my wheels from Rimstyle, and surprisingly it actually works out cheaper to buy a wheel / tyre package from there than to buy the tyres separately from a tyre site.

I'll be going for something like Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Sport Contact or Pirelli P Zero.

The car scared me recently, I wasn't even hard on the power, but the way the front lunged over on a big roundabout, it felt like the front wheels just cambered in and lost all grip...

Question: If I get the wheels / tyres before coilovers, so I'm still running standard suspension for a month or 2, if I get the car tracked can they adjust camber and toe, ie. add some negative camber at the front?

My old Polo only had cheap non-adjustable coilovers, but I was able to add some negative camber on the front manually and I did find it helped reduce understeer..

Spec 2's are a good tire...... No complaints from me? You're the first person I've ever heard knock them!

Spec 2's are shit IMO

Get some Toyota camber bolts, I'll try to dig out the part numbers for you if I can find them dude. Helped a lot on my NA with feel/turn in when I had stock suspension and springs.

Go for neutral toe and I run -1.3 camber daily, good tyre wear. I can highly recommend Uniroyal Rainsport 2s as an all year tyre, and people have had high praise for the Rainsport 3s which I'll be trying next! The ones you've mentioned are meant to be good though, but I don't know about wet grip?

Spec 2's are shit IMO

Get some Toyota camber bolts, I'll try to dig out the part numbers for you if I can find them dude. Helped a lot on my NA with feel/turn in when I had stock suspension and springs.

Go for neutral toe and I run -1.3 camber daily, good tyre wear. I can highly recommend Uniroyal Rainsport 2s as an all year tyre, and people have had high praise for the Rainsport 3s which I'll be trying next! The ones you've mentioned are meant to be good though, but I don't know about wet grip?

Cheers mate that'd be useful :)

Yeah I always hear good stuff about the Uniroyals, so I'll consider them too, the 3 others I'm looking at are all rated A or B for wet grip on the tyre sites.. I probably wouldn't notice a big difference between any of those as they're all supposed to be great tyres.

Ah no way! I'm sure you already know but our cars are meant to handle better with 15s!

I know dude, but It's one of those judgement calls for the best looks, I mean the car will never be a show pony, but I just think that extra inch diameter looks so much better.. Plus, with 45 profiles, the rolling radius is very close to 15's with 50 profile, so it shouldn't throw it out a noticeable amount.

• 1 month later...