Bad knock/clunk on front end - ADVICE pls

Hi

I recently fitted a 2nd hand gt gearbox with LSD fitted into my 96 glanza, as my box was on its last legs.

Apart from being a pig to do on my own in the howling wind and torrential rain I got it all in no major probs.

So I took it out for a dive and immediately was experiencing extreme clunking wheel skipping at anything other than full throttle. It also pulls and snatches the wheels a lot just like morgeys video on here

and assumed it was the tight (cusco maybe?) diff. Ordered some redline friction modifier.

Once I added some of this the diff became a lot better at part throttle once moving at reasonable speed but the extreme clunking remained at slow speed and moving off etc.

I use the car to commute 25 mile each way and what I've noticed is that when cold (ie setting off from home or work) the clunk is dull and not to bad at all only really happening in 1st pulling away from junction turning and s,ow moving roundabouts. But as I get toward home 20 mile later the clunk is horrendous juddering the whole car. I've also noticed I get this clunk coming on and off the throttle quickly in a straight koine and by the time I get home the speed bumps and roads make it happen too.

I've replaced drop links and checked over everything a million times. Driveshafts feel good etc. It's driving me mad as the car is unprovable by the end of my journey.

Also everything was fine with the old gearbox. Nothing has changed except the addition of the diff.

My thoughts are that if it is not the diff that's knocking then maybe the added forces are amplifying a problem that hadn't noticed before the diff was put in.

Maybe rear gearbox mount? Or the strain on the drivers mount changing box has damages that? Maybe duffs screwed?

Any help or advice would be greatly received. Can't just chuck money at it willy hilly as its my Daily and I'm already restoring an old rs turbo. Only really wanna replace what's gonna stock the knock!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

It was sold as a cusco diff to be fair.

And I'd read all the threads abut them so knew what I was getting into I guess. Just ever believed it could be this bad!!!!!

What really confuses me though is the clunk really is bearable from cold but after 10-20 miles it is truely awful even coming on off throttle in a straight line!

Confused!

that will be the oil in the box thinning out as it warms up, the cusco is a plate diff so when its cold the oil will be harder to get out from then and as it warms up will quicker And harsher.

Mine stays the same the whole time tbf though, needless to say I'm going to be removing mine when I get the motivation.

This had crossed my mind.

The change is so vast and dramatic though. Thinking about trying some shockproof oil in it.

I was also concerned that I may have put to much strain on the mounts when fitting and this is showing after they soften up after a workout if you know what I mean?

Thanks for your input

Might be worth a go but I think its just how bad they are. I did read that it because they weren't bedded in correctly making it much worse?

As for the mounts wouldnt softer mounts absorb some of it?

All I can say is for road they ain't very nice for track they are epic. Lol

It's totally possible that softer mounts would absorb. My thinking was iftheengine is moving with the locking of the diff this may make the shafts clunk and or other suspension components showing there weaknesses???

Going to try some motul shockproof lsd oil and see how she goes with that I think.

On full chat (almost impossible on our roads not mention illegal anddangerous) On track i can imagine it would be epic.!

That's the thing when old the clunking is fine to live with with only a small amount of feedback thought the steering wheel.

But it sons becomes so jarring and easily move the steering wheel nearly an 1/8th of a turn wen cornering at anything under 40 ish mph and anything other than full throttle and it feels much more suspension/driveshaft related.

I dunno it's just doing me in right now!!

What oil did you run tobz and morgey???

Was that with a friction modifier too? Had a quick look but couldn't see any mention of it being contained within the silktran itself?

Also with the violent nature of the cusco diffs did you find it put any extra stress on other components causing them to fail earlier Han they otherwise might of?

Thanks again for the replys

Edited by Kingbx95

Really!

See before I added 1/4-1/3rd bottle of friction modifier it was acting like it does now when hot but ALL the time even from cold.

So the additive definitely has made a difference, just wish it worked after up to temp.

I'm sure it's set up to be as tight as possible tbh. Gonna try motul 90pa see what happens lol

All I wanted was a fast fun reliable daily driver and once again it's turning into a hardcore weapon!!! Dunno why I do it to myself to be honest I already have an dedicated extreme weekend/track day car I'm building as well!

And good to know I didn't pay over the top too