looking into buying a mk1 mx5 as a daily as i can insure then dirt cheap and i thought rwd so could learn to drift but has anyone had any experience with them? anything i should look out for when viewing them?

thanks

The mr2 is great but sticks too well if ya fancey a slide. My sisters ex had one and we had some epic times in it especially modded BUT one of my best mates has a mk1 mx5 and yes they get rusty arches and sills go often due to the roof drains getting blocked easily but that can be easily looked after and sill replacement is cheap on them tbh. Id hands down have the mx5 every time. Sticks like shit till ya give it a flick amd some extra then you slide :D id have one in a flash as a dialy or a toy. Just get a hard top for the winter, brrrrrrr gets damn chilly with the folding roof haha

Well my mates is on engine number two but tbh they are normally really tolerable engines. He had an issue and then the crap garage he went to put 7.5L of oil in and unsuprisingly it fucked the engine haha. But his is 20 odd years old and good as gold. The only thing is the usual, as young in miles and as well looked after as you can get for the money really. being na its only really valve stems and bottom end bearings that can put you a bit down on power. Needs to be a 1.6 not a 1.8 engine swap and also the jdm 1.6 has more power so stick to eunos roadsters over mazda mx5's if you can. And just check the inner and outter sills and listen for water sloshing up and down when accelerating and breaking as its a sign the drains are blocked and a good mx5 owner unblocks them as often as they can to keep the sills rust free.

I really want one too, a 1.8 as a project to turbo etc.

Insurance isnt as cheap as youd think by the way, the quotes i got ages ago (was thinking of one before i bought the starlet) were higher than the glanza

Shorty, why 1.6 over 1.8?

The 1.6 takes to superchargers and turbo swaps better and is a more reliable lump also the 1.8 is heavier on the front and throws the balance of the car slightly compared to a 1.6. My mates 1.6 has got an induction and a full system inc mani and decat and out runs another mates 1.8 with the same mods up to 110MPH-ish......on private lanes and blah blah etc lol then the gap stays about the same but 1.6 is well ahead by then.

My brother has one slightly tuned and I have to say it scared the shit out of me the first time I drove it, they are so much fun, back end slides out nearly every corner with only slight throttle but so easy to control, the most fun I've had in a car, no wonder he got rid of his 220bhp Ibiza for it

I really want one too, a 1.8 as a project to turbo etc.

Insurance isnt as cheap as youd think by the way, the quotes i got ages ago (was thinking of one before i bought the starlet) were higher than the glanza

Shorty, why 1.6 over 1.8?

I've been getting quotes and I can insure a 1.6 eunos for £400 a year at 20 with 2 years no claims

The 1.6 engine revs better and like Shorty said it takes boost better as well. You can easily get more power out of them as well by advancing the ignition timing around 4 degrees.

They do rust like a bitch though so they are quite hard to find and you will pay a bit extra for one thats in good condition.

Get yourself over on mx5nutz and theres all you need to know on there :)

Your wrong lol sr20det was the 180sx which is a jdm version of a uk 200sx which has a ca18det which is made of chocolate and cheese and rust like a mofo! I've been through 5 200sx's with one of my mates who was adement he was having one and they where all dogshit! Strip out an mx5 and your well away! Coilovers do help alot for the slidy fun and adam said the timing advance is good too, i forgot to mention that lol, my mate has done his by 4° and again its noticable. I've been in/played with/owned/driven soooo many fun/toy cars its crazy and tbh the mx5 all the hairdresser and gayboy jokes aside is one of the most fun for your money as they dont demand much cash to have fun with and if ya get board then boost,supercharge or sr20 swap are all easy enough :D

Edited by shorty

Only thing is insurance on a 200sx is too dear I'd be £1200 a year opposed to £400 a year on a mx5

Another thing is I have loads of wheels that would fit on an mx5 so have plenty drift wheels lol and I need something that's half decent on fuel as I do alot of miles and I doubt a 2.0turbo would be good on fuel considering a 2.0 na Celica that I'm using currently is costing an absolute fortune to run

Mx5 is by far the best bet dude.

@jamie: yep has definatly been coincidence they jave all been swapped as i will bet both my balls that you are wrong. The uk 200sx s13 came with a ca18det the s14 n s15 had a sr20det as did the s13 180sx from japan. And as you are refering to buying one for a grand id say its safe to bet you are on about the s13 (ca18det) as id love to see an s14 or s15 for a grand. Either way they are rot boxes that shit the fuel pump when boost is turned up aswell as having a choclate and cjees engine that was origonally designed for the nissan bluebird! If yours have all been sr20's then they cant have been s13's which again means they arnt available for a grand.

Edited by shorty

Cool, the sr20det is a far better engine but i really dont see you finding an s14 for mx5 starter money, only s13's with the shitty ca18det which will die as usual :( i wont deny they make great skidders but fun for £ id have the mx5 all day any day.

I LOVE my MX5 it's a summer car so currently she's garaged up until about April me thinks! I've always loved them, I talked my ex into getting one a few years back and thats where they really ignited my love for them! Easy to work on god like handling proper fun little revvy engine out the box and extremely tuneable in any way you can imagine and best of all pop up lights! Haha. Mine has just a couple bolt on mods, full stainless and 4-2-1 SS manifold and an Apexi Super intake filter obviously it's not going to be a supercar killer but you really don't need silly amounts of power to have good fun in them! A nice windy B road or trackday to chuck it around and you don't want for anything else!

Heres mine. Owned it since July last year

1398269_434080250037691_1572196627_o_zps

IMG_20130919_190753-1_zps99ad9801.jpg