Who's self employed

I'm a self employed carpenter mate, have been for a good 5/6 years now. I like it because of the freedom of having time off with out worring about booking time off around others. Obvious down sides are having no sick/holiday pay and if there is no work it means no money but if your work enough in the year you should have enough to support your self in the shit times haha. What do you do for a living ??

Edited by Banbury Glanza

I'm working in the train station at the moment done my appreciate when I was 16 but left due to better money done a lot of mixed jobs rebuilding fuel pumps for petrol stations making led boards for bus and rail jewsons tool hire

But fancy doing somthing for my self trying to find what's best todo start up cost etc

Im a self employed floorlayer. Have been for around 7 years (fitting for 11-12 years), i started out working for my dad when i was still at school, now he works for me.

Its good being your own boss and not having to answer to anyone. Downside is the stress that comes with it! i have customers calling me at all hours an everyone thinks you are exclusive to them. theres obv no sick pay or holiday pay etc but that doesnt bother me too much, if i want a holiday my dad and the other guy who work for me are more than capable to run things if i want time off. I supply everything that i lay from carpet/lino/wooden flooring to astroturf(the only thing i dont lay is eggs!)

They money can be great but i have quiet spells now that i have stopped subbing to carpet shops and that can be pretty brutal sometimes

Edited by bucketep91

Sick time etc shouldn't be a issue as most of the time I'm fit and heathy haha and there's always friends about for a hand if required

Ideally I'd like to do a property maintance company from cleaning out empty houses to giving them a fresh coat of paint fitting new doors grass cutting etc if I could get some contracts with letting company's then it would be a good steady work load I would imagine

Reputation is everything. 80% of my work is word of mouth, If your not reliable u wont last in my game. I treat every job as if it where my own house as every customer is another potential 10 customers.

I do a lot of work for letting agents,shops, insurance,churches/mosques, hotels etc i drop leaflets everywhere i go including a few doors either side of everyjob i do.

Yeah word of mouth is ment to be the best advertising going do a great job at one place and they will tell everyone how friendly and how smooth the job went and don't forget how good a job you did

But do a shit job and they will warn every man and there dog going

When I was unemployed for a while I ran a man with a van service moving houses etc and I done well at it but somone crashed into the back of my van and wrote it off and just as that happend I got offered a job in the railway so thought I might aswell give it a bash

Have to agree Reputation stands for everything, If one person is happy then that will bring you more work. Worked with my dad self employed for a while, we're both Electricians and it's hard, not going to lie. Working for someone is a LOT easier, but you get a much lesser pay. If you don't get paid by a client for a job then there is basically nothing you can do, We always did a job 50/50 if it was fairly large, do half the work then ask for half the quote, then do the rest of the work. If they then don't pay at least you have half of your money to cover materials/fuel etc...Only ever had this happen once though so it's been alright! Work for a company now, much much easier, just have to deal with retarded charge hands and foreman lol...I do miss the extra money you get working for yourself, but can't be doing with the hassle anymore

I still get a load of called asking me to pick stuff up and move stuff etc I sometimes think I should have a van on standby for the call and do the little odd jobs when I'm called upon but my job has so much down time it drives you to boardum

Self employed department manager for a railway forestry company, we don't take anyone on the cards as we use payroll companies.

So much better than full time, as you can claim every expenss back, and in our case we have a lot!

If you don't get paid by a client for a job then there is basically nothing you can do, We always did a job 50/50 if it was fairly large, do half the work then ask for half the quote, then do the rest of the work. If they then don't pay at least you have half of your money to cover materials/fuel etc...Only ever had this happen once though so it's been alright! Work for a company now, much much easier, just have to deal with retarded charge hands and foreman lol...I do miss the extra money you get working for yourself, but can't be doing with the hassle anymore

I always get paid! Wouldnt let anyone away with that!

We done tic carpets in glasgow a few years ago pay up at between 40-60 per week, everyone paid at first then one guy stopped paying he had obviousley told people he stopped and they stopped aswell. We went round to his house and ripped up MY carpets and set fire to them outside. I lost out on a few quid but We got some back dated payments that night and no every payment after that was on time.

Haha, Yeah I was in the right mind of going around and ripping out all his wiring and things we installed, but that would end with criminal damage charges and possibly assault lol, Best to just leave it be not worth a record over

Who's self employed

Me

What do you do?

I own a smoke ventilation company

How do you find it?

I fucking love it, stressful as well mind...! U will find a whole new meaning to the word stress but if you stuck at it and make it work it's pays off trust me lol

Pros and cons?

Pros

You can arrange your working days to suit yourself, I get to see my kids loads as my office is in my house, Shit loads of money, lots of cars and cool stuff. Oh and three to four day weeks

Cons

Vat, tax, stress, idiot engineers, travelling from Bournemouth to London daily and more stress

If you enjoy doing the job then you will win

Im a self employed sparky, i subby to another guy so let him have all the stress and hassle and i get the benifits of self employment. Thinking of going out on my own soon though as i want more money and subcontracting isnt as good as independent work but brings more stress. That said i run things when hes away so I've done it enough times to know how it is. Have to agree with all the above on the reputation factor. Is everything when your selfemployed. And we have never really jad problems with non payment as will just threaten legal action to reclaim "our" products and costs as its written into all our quotes that everything belongs to us still untill full payment and on accepting our quote ypu accept our terms. Means we have a legal leg to stand on if people try n shaft us.