Urgent help please

Just picked up my gt 😄

Driving home the temp gauge went thought the roof!! Pulled over and the fan wasn't running, put the heaters on full heat and temp started to drop! No smoke, runs smooth and has plenty of water in it! Any ideas??

broken thermostat? my mates mx5 did exactly this a week ago, thermostat imploded and was stuck nearly shut all the time. good place to start. be careful not to overtighten the two bolts holding it on, they sheer really easily, as i found out when i did mine :rolleyes:

Edited by Chops

Ok so not managed to change the thermostat but went for a drive and she was fine, started a bit more spirited drive and up the temp gauge went, pulled over and had a snoop. The rad was really hot apart from the passenger side which was only warmish!! Any further ideas??

i still think the thermostats probably jammed half open, or theres a blockage in the system somewhere. id start with the thermostat, and while the coolants out get the rad out, have a look at it and flush it through mate.

lol just realised i didnt read your post properly, sorry. :crazy: a friend of mines starlet had a load of crap in its standard rad, flushing it through the opposite way to normal flow managed to dislodge it. chunks of old whatever might come out the intake if it is blocked.

Ok, thermostat changed and rad flushed! Still the same problem!

Starts up and warms up fine, will sit at idle and be fine, normal driving fine, give it a boot and up the temp goes! It will then continue to over hear with normal driving! Can keep it cool using the heaters on full!

Help 😢

I think if its over heating isn't that a classic sign of HG failure? particularly if you drive more spirited. Go to a garage and get the radiator sniff tested. They will be able to measure if exhaust gasses are getting into your coolant system.

I think if super heated gasses from the cylinders is leaking into the water jacket is causes havoc with the cooling system. Easy test and they will give you an answer straight away. Just ring around if they can do one in your local garage.

Edited by Taggy

yeah it will be a pain, luckily changing the HG on starlets though isn't a difficult job and you could do it your self on a weekend if you haven't done it before. If it has failed though, always remember to get your head skimmed to ensure its totally flat, its about £30 in a machine shop, worth doing for peace of mind and while the head is off its probably worth getting your valve stem seals changed too as the parts are only cheap and will prevent any future problems while its apart :)

Edited by Taggy

Ah right ok if the temp gauge isnt budging after 45 mins when you turn it off its likely to be a dodgy temp sender then, as your right thats not normal lol. Change the sender, i think they are less than a tenner.