missfire around 2000 rpm and also cuts out fully

hey guys

im hoping somebody can help me as today my starlet played up bad.

I am getting a definate missfire at 2,000 rpm under ligh load INTERMITTENTLY.

happend a few times and on the way so to work, it cut out fully and took two attempts to start.

also on way home the missfiring on the odd occasion and also cut out again !!

the diagnostics had shown all is fine.

just had new plugs, dizzy cap and rotor. checked plugs and they are bang on with no fouling.

its a wierd intermitant problem and I dont understand ?

help please !!

Edited by mikey4410

I had this problem, plastic coating on the wire to the coil had frayed and was earthing so taped it up and issue went away for a while. Started doing it again and replaced the coil.been fine since. And currently not mounted to the bulkhead

my coils mounted to the engine block side.was before new coil anyway.

fully cleaned and prepared all touching surfaces to baremetal etc.

the difference is so evident now and cars runs so much better

Edited by mikey4410

eh yes and no.it depends on if your current coilpack and ignitor are "welded on" with age and corrosion.

mine took me an hour and a bit to drill out and fit new bolts and nuts and also prep the "chassis" on which the coilpack and ignitor are perched.

good luck with it dude

• 2 weeks later...

so i changed the coil pack and no difference. the car is sluggish and the misfire is there. It has a dead point where the power is gone and I have to floor it for boost to kick in so that it goes. around or below 2000rpm at low speed the car is dead and when i floor it the first green light comes on and then it goes. what can cause this? i re-alised it misfires when hot and not when cold. as soon as the temp gauge moves abit it misfires. when going fast it ok. but at lower speeds and around 2000rpm or below its sluggish and has a dead point. i have decat, blitz ecu, magnecore leads, iridium 6 spark plugs. its been like this since last year. economy is good but this misfire is getting to me. it doesnt use water or oil. what can cause this????????

• 1 month later...