Overcharging Alternator??

Bit of a weird one guys for the electricians in the house.

Basically I jump started my car a few months back, and connected the jump leads the wrong way around ...School boy error I know.

Anyway, it blew the 80amp fuse and I had no power whatsoever in the car. I bought a new fuse, fitted it and all was fine.

The car has been parked up for a few months since then, so I haven't really driven it until today.

My oem double din radio wasn't working so I took it round to my mates- who is an electrician - to have a look.

He traced the issue to be a bad earth. Then on closer inspection, he noticed that there was no earth on the radio, or the interior lights.

We then checked the fuse box in the bonnet, and my 80amp fuse had started to melt at some point :s

We also checked the battery with a voltmeter, and it was reading 15v @ idle, and went slight higher when the revs were increased, which my mate said was too high?

So just to summarise:

1. I have no earth on the radio, or interior lights - Light isnt working and radio only works when we use an alternate earth.

2. My 80amp alternator fuse has started to melt - still working.

3. I'm getting a 15v plus reading on idle.

Could this be an alternator issue i.e. is it over charging? Could I have damaged it in some way when I connected the jump leads up wrong.

Apologies for the long ass post. But I just wonna get my car back on the road asap.

Thanks

The interior light eaths itself on one of the fixing bolts. Then the 2 wires in are both live for door and on position. And the radio should have a light grey/ white wire with a black stripe on for earth. I suspect you have fried the internal volt regulator on the altornator when you jump started the car.

Sorry i mean i have earths attached, but the interior light doesnt work, and the radio only worked when we moved the earth cable and attached it to a different location.

So i ll need to replace the alternator then?

Ok, I'll get on the case and find one. Do I need to get one specifically for my car? Its a 1994 GT?

The heater controls still work, but I've not tried the cig lighter yet.

The only other thing that is a little strange is, when I turn my lights on, the boost gauge and clock go mega dim.Lights off they go mega bright. Again, my mate said it maybe down to a bad earth?

I'm waiting for pics from another member who has one for sale at the moment. Have you got a pic of what the plug will look like on one for my GT?

Also how do you remove the laternator - Never done one before, but more than willing to have a go.

ps - would it be worth just replacing the voltage reg in the alternator, or just get a different alternator?

Thanks

I just replaced my alternator. It's a tight fit, but quite easy to do from the below. Just remove top and bottom bolts, unplug connector and battery wire(10mm nut) and twist the alternator off between steering rack and drive shaft.

After changing the alternator I got another problem though, refurbed alternator whines/whistle quite bad. It's not the belt or bearing but the electrical pitch whine going up and down with revs. I'm not sure if the alternator is bad or if my battery is also defective and alternator has to work harder causing whine. :-/

Thanks a lot for this man. I'm gonna be changing mine this weekend hopefully, and didn't know the first place start - Only recently started doing DIY on my cars lol.

Hmm, have you checked the voltage you're getting since fitting the new alternator?

around 14v on battery terminals when charging, I think it should be ~14.4v but the difference is minimal and my battery is in boot, so there might be some difference. Also noticed this morning that battery volts seems to drop during night, but I have to check it today.

Battery might have seen the better days, but doesn't explain the sound. I think I have to change the alternator again as I put a pipe on it yesterday and listened to it. Sounds like a bearing or coil problem :-/

Yes I can it's under the warranty. Only problem is that I need the car, so I have to ask them if they can give me a replacement before I give the broken one back.