grinding sound in reverse and 1st sometimes.

When I reverse I get a grinding sound from the box. It sounds like when you think it's in reverse but it isn't and you let the clutch up, except with my GT it is 8 gear and moves but sounds like it's not in gear properly... anyone had this or something similar? Does it in first slightly sometimes too but not very often.

I have a similar problem where it feels like its gone into reverse but actually isnt quite, and grinds as i let up occasionally, then i find i can move it back further. ive just learned to tell when its playing silly buggers like that. first can also do something similar, but not let me select it at all without sort of feeling about untill i can get it past whatever is stopping it. no idea what it is, ive been too lazy/busy to have a look about for the cause.

I have a similar problem where it feels like its gone into reverse but actually isnt quite, and grinds as i let up occasionally, then i find i can move it back further. ive just learned to tell when its playing silly buggers like that. first can also do something similar, but not let me select it at all without sort of feeling about untill i can get it past whatever is stopping it. no idea what it is, ive been too lazy/busy to have a look about for the cause.

I think all of my cars have done that haha. You can usually feel when the gearstick doesn't go into gear as far as it should. If it won't go in just keep pulling back on slightly for it to go in gear and slowly bring the clutch up. It always pops into gear just before the biting point :)

Think you're getting the wrong impression guys haha :p.

It goes into gear fine... But when you reverse, it sounds like its not in gear. It is in gear but it makes similar kind of noise as to when it's not quite in and you let the clutch up...

Think you're getting the wrong impression guys haha :p.

It goes into gear fine... But when you reverse, it sounds like its not in gear. It is in gear but it makes similar kind of noise as to when it's not quite in and you let the clutch up...

Yes its the same as mine mate you think its in and when you lift the clutch up it makes a grinding noise, you just need to have a play getting it into reverse and when your completely sure its in gear, release the clutch

Yes its the same as mine mate you think its in and when you lift the clutch up it makes a grinding noise, you just need to have a play getting it into reverse and when your completely sure its in gear, release the clutch

No mate it goes into gear fine. It makes the noise when actually reversing.

Probably have a chipped tooth on on a couple of your gears. Also check your engine and box mounts, can cause damage to the gear box when worn

yes, I remember when the driver side mount went on my glanza which made the selectors go slack and tricky to get in gears

Probably have a chipped tooth on on a couple of your gears. Also check your engine and box mounts, can cause damage to the gear box when worn

Haha you're right there actually as the drivers mount has gone. It is also hard to get into gear when giving it some... Better change the mount eh and see if it sorts that problem out. Clutch is slipping too so the box is coming out anyway. I have a spare I can put in :)

Haha you're right there actually as the drivers mount has gone. It is also hard to get into gear when giving it some... Better change the mount eh and see if it sorts that problem out. Clutch is slipping too so the box is coming out anyway. I have a spare I can put in :)

Yeah luckily my garage is full of starlet parts, will it go into the gear ??

It goes into gear absolutely fine. It sounds more like something is catching when you reverse. The closest noise I can compare it to is when it doesn't go in gear.

Only time it's hard to change gear is when I drive it near the red line before changing and it feels really stiff or sluggish into gear. Probably needs the oil changing too.

Well it does it in first sometimes too... I thought maybe something to do with the clutch but it's only in first and reverse. Mainly just reverse. I'll try and get a video of it although probably won't be any good lol... It's not really a problem I just want to know what it is as I've never had anything like it before lol. Probably something in the box on it's way.