Variations of a TD04 Set Up ?

Hi all,

In the near future I am looking at progressing not a TD04 conversion. Now I have not looked too deeply into it as of yet so I thought I should get some advice and guidance as to what goes on in the TD04 area.

I firstly would like to know if there is any variation in the turbos them selves. Are there different types of TD04 and pro's and cons of each.

Secondly I would like to know if there are any different manifold set up and what the pro's and cons of each are.

And finally any feed back and valuable infor on what to avoid and where to look for parts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys and girls !

yes there is tdo4 is the smallest then tdo4l then tdo4hl there is a few diferent sizes indeed but there not that far off each other

i personaly prefer a tdo5 on a 4efte it comes a bit later on boost but pulls A LOT HARDER on boost :) :)

i think weprs kits are best value for money he has some nice kiits for 400£ and under delivered and lifetime waranty

you could also buy the toyosports tdo4 mani/downpipe in mild steel they are good and work wel just weld some braces to them and they last wel there 180£ +-

i have 1 off those atm with external welded on and made adaptor plate to fit my stock cat so i can pas nct/mot :) :) i am the first to do so !!!

Edited by 5e colin

There are a few different types of subaru flanged TD04 yeah. They were on WRX imprezas for about 8 years so some changes were made. The one most of us use is the TD04L, theres also a TD04HL i believe but cant remember the difference. You can get them with a few different compressor housings ie. 13T / 19T

As for manifolds, theres a few companies that make them, personal preference i use Zisco, but WEPR & Race-Tech are also ment to be bang on. Avoid the likes of Toyosport ( i dont care what anyone says they are made of shit and the evidence is there to prove it :D ) And ofcourse there are different styles of manifold aswell, the in thing atm seems to be top mount kits :D

And go for an external wastegate kit over an internal, boost is far more stable and you get the added bonus of being able to have the whole street shit themselves when you reach full boost and your screamer starts shooting flames :p

all mk1 gc8 wrx and sti impreza saloons rock td05s, only the estate version got the smaller tdo4. dunno about the later ones.

Yeah i had one of them and it had a TD05 16G on it from factory. Then they started coming with TD04s

i bought a black import wrx recently and found it had a td05 in it, so i did a shitload of research. other than a few special editions that got a few different vf series tubbys, the biggest difference between the wrx and the sti is the ecu, which is like 30 quid on ebay and plugs straight in. oh and some stickers and badging, and a strut brace. if you want a mk1 turbo and arnt too fussed about getting a special edition, save yourself a pile of moolah and go down the wrx with bits added route lol.

Edited by Chops