• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Spent 6 hours hunched over the bonnet today changing the inlet mani for an FTE one. Got it on, got the filter and all back on just as the sun was going down, tried to start her up and... Nope.

She cranks but doesn't start. Probably something simple but I was out of light, so it'll have to wait until after work tomorrow.

Nah man you gotta leave it how it was. Rotate it the right way. Guides on here. And it seems like its broke and wabbles. But thats right. Then keep roateting until it starts. It does make sensor useless but its the only way it will start. When i done on my SR took me around 2 hours to crank over. Just gotta get someone in car. And you keep rotating a little. The right way and eventually it wi fire up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a bad couple of days. I'd known for a couple of months that the brakes weren't right so went to bleed them last Sunday and found the rear N/S slave cylinder had given up the ghost, so ordered that, plus pads and wheel bearings from Iddy. Whilst changing the cylinder, the line that feeds brake fluid into it decided that 17 years is about all you get so now that needs changing. Quick phone call to the only Toyota dealer in this fine county and I'm going to pick that up tomorrow. Lovely 30-mile round trip in the other half's godawful 3-pot 998cc Picanto to get a tiny section of copper pipe :(

But anyway, ever the optimist I thought "I've got a week off work and college and a C52 gearbox in the middle of the floor" so had the old C154 off yesterday and put the '52 on with my brother's help. Took getting on for 10 hours total just to do that. Another 6 hours today saw speedo, selectors, slave cylinder, sensors and all the other assorted crap that's bolted onto the gearbox go back on. Started her up about an hour ago to hear KRKRKRKRKRKRKRK from the sandwich plate, which has obviously gotten bent a little so it's touching the fly. I'm boprdering on being in full rage mode that I got so close to being done and now I've gotta get back under her AGAIN for the 4th day running tomorrow, but instead I'm going to the pub with my brother to play pool and have some drinks.

I love my car, I really do. But right now, she can go and die in a fucking fire.

End rant.

Man thats bad luck!

Shit happens, eh? Not so angry about it now :)

Shit news man. I know how it feels when everything seems to go bad at once.

:(

Yeah, I think anyone that goes deeper than servicing their car hits this point at some stage. Just gotta keep telling yourself it'll be worth it, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Issues above are all sorted, got a few tweaks to do to get her right like handbrake adjustment and the speedo cable needs tightening.

Bigger news though is the FTE inlet is gone, replaced with a Rolla one so the extra powers now lower in the range, much more usable. Again, couple of odd bits left with the throttle cable and the idle issues I've been fighting for months are still there but I'm getting closer to being to stop for a bit, and actually have free time for a change.

Tomorrows jobs are

Check ICV for issues. High idle goes away when it's unplugged so there's definitely something up there.

Adjust rubber throttle cable bushing on the Rolla inlet to take the slack out.

Tighten speedo cable on the box end to stop the needle wobbling at speed.

Calibrate handbrake so I can park on hills again.

IF the weather allows, I'll be done by lunchtime and then I'm taking a break from going under the bonnet until August at least. Can't wait :)

Issues above are all sorted, got a few tweaks to do to get her right like handbrake adjustment and the speedo cable needs tightening.

Bigger news though is the FTE inlet is gone, replaced with a Rolla one so the extra powers now lower in the range, much more usable. Again, couple of odd bits left with the throttle cable and the idle issues I've been fighting for months are still there but I'm getting closer to being to stop for a bit, and actually have free time for a change.

Tomorrows jobs are

Check ICV for issues. High idle goes away when it's unplugged so there's definitely something up there.

Adjust rubber throttle cable bushing on the Rolla inlet to take the slack out.

Tighten speedo cable on the box end to stop the needle wobbling at speed.

Calibrate handbrake so I can park on hills again.

IF the weather allows, I'll be done by lunchtime and then I'm taking a break from going under the bonnet until August at least. Can't wait :)

glad to hear all issues are sorted! makes you feel all lovey dovey again all of a sudden! :D

Yeah, really does. Went for a drive last night and even with a slack throttle cable and 2k idle rpm she was so smooth and composed I just had an idiot grin on the whole time.

How's yours going B? Been looking out for the updates.

Yeah, really does. Went for a drive last night and even with a slack throttle cable and 2k idle rpm she was so smooth and composed I just had an idiot grin on the whole time.

How's yours going B? Been looking out for the updates.

I love my rolla intake

Makes the car feel so much more alive. :)

• 1 month later...

She's booked in for her MOT on Monday. I've never had a car pass one before, so I'm nervous as hell.

In other news, bought a bay dress up kit from the fine lads at JDM-EP and fit it today, and while I was at it I took a long overdue wire brush to the rocker cover.

image_zpsarsl5fc4.jpg

Full MOT checks going on tomorrow so I'll probably find a giant rust hole through my rear axle or something equally fatal, news to follow!