• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it's the one. You'd still need some fabrication on this. flipping the alternator bracket might do, but I doubt it would be that easy... and that idler, gettint the pulleys to line up properly is already a challenge in itself, on this setup it's 3 pulley in non-OEM locations...

i am going to keep the top adjuster bar from the original alt position and fab that so i dont need pully adjuster on that side

the charger will be automatically aligned with the original alt bracket at the bottom its just from left to right that i need to space it correct

i will wait till im pist to start on the new alt position bracket ha ha stress levels wont be that high then

Sorry I missed that question...

couple of pics above ( engine flat charger ontop ) i see you have a pulley where the power steering pump supposed to go is it adjustable and where did it come of ???

It's the OEM tensioner for air con belt on non-power steering models. Do you need one? I have 2...

To what I was here for, I didn't touch the SC14 this weekend, I went to the motorplex Saturday and worked on the body today before my weekly nap (I must be getting old taking naps every week...). I kept working on the passenger lock delete and the boot, I can still see where the "LIFE" sticker was, even after a couple of sanding/priming sessions... I'll probably need to bog it up, I found a low spot on the upper left of the plate surround and the lock hole also needs filling.

Been looking at exhaust as well... Found a flex pipe and a cat, maybe a back box, but I need to work out how much space I have available Down Under there (Pun intended :p )

To the pics!

934834_10204935029807297_850068614167898

10896904_10204935030007302_7906903696363

1937499_10204935029367286_76472651255230

10447044_10204935030087304_1411403389165

10933809_10204939707724242_2253633058054

10940528_10204939707244230_3997318877856

Don't mind the bent plate, I should have my custom ¾ sized one this week to fit the surround.

Edited by FMuscle

I dropped my part numbers list at Toyota at lunch time today, will pick the quote up tomorrow, as they were closed when I left work. Got some good stuff on there :)

I'm thinking about noise. I left (well, was forced to) my car at work, replacing the noisy wheel bearing. That noise gone, I'll be thinking of a new one.
Supercharger Whine.

Loud or quiet?
And how to achieve chosen result?

I'm not sound engineer, but I have a brain and use it. I think the outlet pipe from the 2TZ-FZE is designed for quiet, it's in a minivan after all... It has a muffler, maybe 3½ inches diameter, and pipes go in on both sides but there is a gap inside to let the noise bounce around and "flaten" it, if I may say.

f0d28bu-480.jpg

I looked at the outlet of a 1G-GZE and it's a straight 2½ pipe. I won't have a muffler on mine, that's for sure. And what I can play with is the inlet, i.e. between the pod filter and the supercharger. The 1G's inlet looks interesting, much smoother than the 2TZ and could have a different sized pipe fitted easily.
116083454.jpg

Now the smaller the better after the blower, the less space, the quicker the boost. I'm going S/C => 2½" => IC => 2" => TB shortest route possible.

Before the blower though, I have options. I was planning on putting the pod behind the top grille, a 90° bend and 3" pipe to the S/C inlet by the lower crossmember. Short as can be, big straight pipe, I'm assuming loads of echo, whine to be heard that way. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that a smaller pipe would reduce the noise level, bigger increase it. Heat shield/air box and relocation to a less open area would also reduce the noise.

Loud or quiet?

My weekend progress, part one:
Went out to a metal recycling yard, searched the bins, found a bracket on an old massive ford I-6 engine and a steel flat about a metre long 30mm x 5mm. Scored them for the amount of zero, nada, niet.
Then headed to work, did a minor tweaking of the S/C manifolds, fitted them and positioned the S/C on the engine.

DSC06185.jpg

DSC06186.jpg

DSC06172.jpg

DSC06173.jpg

DSC06175.jpg

Took some mesurements, checked clearances...

DSC06177.jpg

DSC06179.jpg

DSC06176.jpg

Tested the ford bracket...
DSC06181.jpg

DSC06182.jpg

and since it won't fit, I started making my own.
DSC06184.jpg

The pulley was already lined up and straight. It was to check the belt route to clear the piping going through it. Yes, pipe will go between the pulleys and turn to follow the frame to the FMIC. Not enough room on the other side, and under would be too low for ground clearance.

Page 3, why not?
Here's today's lack of concentration, or the acts of a distracted mind. I wanted to check the headlamps polarity for my future upgrade. This happened:

DSC06187.jpg
DSC06188.jpg
DSC06190.jpg
DSC06191.jpg
DSC06192.jpg
DSC06193.jpg

I ran out of electrical tape, cable ties are holding it for now. Not a bad thing, I'll have to fiddle around the wiring a bit more in the near future. I now have a ¾ full grocery bag of wires and positive switched headlamps...

Well, my car is still at work while I'm at home. On a Friday night... :(
I brought it in after work to check the tyre pressures, found my RHF matte wheel to be... Shiny???

I popped the bonnet and saw oil e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. Timing side, top of the cover is dry, but going down on the side of it it gets wetter and wetter. Oil on the engine mount, oil down the block, oil on the frame... New, Genuine bung, cam seal and crank seal to be ordered Monday morning ASAP.

I didn't need to reopen the timing case now, especially with my crushed finger damn it!... On the other hand, I'm back in the beater, who's been staying at work since I did the swap, I can strip it down for the parts I want to swap over, interior panels are much cleaner in that one.

Nope not good. Glad I picked it before the oil light turned on tho.

Exterior... Lots of smoothing, passenger & boot locks gone, aerial off, side repeaters & moldings to go, Carat lights chrome ring off... Waiting for a few more parts for a major headlight upgrade, working on a fog equipped front bumper, plans for a rear bumper as well, then paint. Kia's "Moonlight Blue" (thank you Gran Turismo for the preview :) )
C_te_d_Azur_2.jpg

C_te_d_Azur.jpg

C_te_d_Azur_6.jpg

Removed the top cover, even if it's clear I could not see through it with the oil film on both sides of it... Started the engine. I couldn't see the source of the leak, but a mist was coming out from the lower cover... :(
I won't put it on the hoist until my seal order arrives, so won't know for sure wich one busted. I'm putting my money on the front main,

I ordered it all anyway, bung, cam, front and rear mains, oil pump seal and o-ring + rocker cover gasket. I had an occasional drop on both ends of the engine before, nothing worrying and I planned to swap sumps for the 5E's when I was to fit the blower and exhaust on anyway, so it would be resealed then. I'm getting the rear main just in case it's not the sump. Well there goes $20/L oil...

I'll be using a bog standard BOV. My pulley is set for 10.5 psi, I set the bov to 12. Not sure if it worth recirculating though.

And I still have the N/A-S/C mode switch in the back of my head, Kind of like the Interceptor in Mad Max. If/when I do it I'll fit an electric exhaust bypass in the piping