Coolant Issues

Hello,

New to posting here but have been reading up threads where I Can. Have found people with similar problems but it's either turned out to be their mistake or an unrelated fault.

So I picked up a 1994 mk 3 toyota starlet gt turbo last week. It looks like the last two years have been pretty brutal to the old girl and I intend on spending the right money returning it to its former glory. I don't shy away from projects and don't mind getting my hands dirty, already I've done the basics, oil, filter, coolant and plugs.

So to the problem, I picked the car up last week and the chap said it's losing coolant and you could see it passing put the overflow. Okay seems like a small fault I can get that sorted. Not knowing what the problem is I looked at the spares and saw that the there was a spare expansion bottle included. A little bit of testing showed that the seal on the new bottle was better, so I thought perhaps it was that that was causing the problem. It was not. So this weekend I went about getting rid of the rust that was in the coolant system with some rad flush and taking it to the forums to see what you guys think the problem might be

So what I'm finding is that the coolant is boiling over into the expansion bottle, as it should, then proceeding to over fill the expansion bottle and leak. The temperature gauge was just reading half way but now it seems it's faulty with it jumping up and down like a rev counter! The car has a half size aluminium radiator and it is hot to the touch. I've read horror stories on here saying head cracked and cylinder block cracked, which is not comforting to say the least . Despite this it comes on boost lovely and pulls like a train. Very quick motor so I'd be surprised if it was the engine. I think I will be more reluctant to fit the full size radiator in there and see if that fixes the problem before taking the head off. But would interested in seeing what some of you think.

Also does anyone know where to get a new temperature sender from. I will as well get a new thermostat for the price. And a new radiator Cap as I've read that could cause faults.

Will get photos up if needs be and more information as I investigate.

Thanks

From what I can tell, the water expands, boils over, whatever and continuously fills up the expansion bottle. The chap before me was like keep filling the radiator up and the expansion bottle and I knew that wasn't right. They've been using water for far too long and that hasn't helped you can here it move from the radiator to the expansion bottle. As I type I'm leaning more towards the idea of the thermostat being faulty, that slowing down the flow of water so it doesn't pass through the cylinder very fast and that's what is causing it to boil over.

So my next question, I see idz works do a replacement thermostat for 10er. Are these okay or should I fork out the whopping 90 quid for one. Seems a little overpriced.

I would fit the id-workz thermostat. I had similar problems with mine. It was filling the expansion bottle and drawing from the rad. The temp gauge would rise if the car was stationary, although ok if it was moving. Give the system a good flush through with clean water, fit a new thermostat and fresh coolant and it should solve your problem.

• 1 month later...