EP71 Improved Production Race Car Project

Hey ...

Seems easy enough then - EP71 is imprinted into the firewall but don't think they'd pull you up on that.

Can't wait to see the build! Did you end up getting those cranks from Spartans?

Let's hope so .... As I said they only want a vehicle to look exactly as it should. I mean I even have to run the correct grill for a pre 1986 car ( Stu can you post up what you think is right please ? Reason I ask is because there is a whole army of pic's on Google showing EP70's.

Not having the homologation papers yet i don't know ?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Cranks ... No not yet and spoke to Dane at Spartan and I asked if I could buy one first to check ! )

Now there is need for panels I called him to ask today ... Strangle very well priced to supply two of everything

Having said that the crank was a little exy mind.

I'm sure like most when hungry for more info and interested in " What's What " needing to learn quick, one finds them self's on other forums at times.

Aside from NZ forum I also did originally join the Ireland one like I have here. No offence to the NZ one but I guess as you know interest there is not as high as it used to be.

One thing I did notice is how many guy's race the little KP60 :shok:

Ok ... Rather than reload pic's from photo bucket ( I'm lazy and well as busy today ) I've stuck up a copy and post there.

There is a couple of wankie pic's too, showing my brakes I'm going to use. but I have put them here now you asked :)

Although I may appear a nob crapping on and on. I've gone into detail, as there's always someone out there with time on their hands to look at it.

Or maybe looking for boring bed time stories !

There's also a top thread about some NZ bloke here too, who's done a 4AGE conversion ;) :thumbsup:

Hey ....

Had the day off today as I needed to feel like I am making progress. Being so dam anal about things " Everything takes longer than it should. Having said that I hate re-doing things.

Purposely have the clutch pedal lower than the brake pedal pad ... I have found that in FWD vehicles you may find the need to exercise left foot braking .... ( Which I do from racing Minis icon_biggrin.png )

If your foot rest is lower than the clutch pedal pad, and you like to left foot brake, it's not to difficult to foul the clutch pedal pad, when moving over to LF/Brake.

Foot Rest :

Enlarge this image
IMG_24191_zps90a9ba7f.jpg

Will wax / plastersiene ( Spelling ! ? ) joint when laying up.

Enlarge this image
IMG_24221_zpsb68f5588.jpg

Plan is to make a full Carbon Fiber raised floor, with a slight convex ... A bit of a toss to some, but it's my car as they say icon_lol.gif ! Will make it with holes which will form in the carbon from plug ... To those that may wonder what / why people swag holes in thin sheet steel / light gauge alloys, it gives additional regidity when using thin gauge material, allowing the saving of weight, but still being purposeful.

Swagging tool :
These are available from Motorsport Tools in Wales for about 58 quid .... and can be purchased as combined cutter / swagging ( more exy then a swag .... Alt, just buy a swagging tool.

These come in many sizes and most of the time they are imperial. Probably due to the fact that these are commonly used in the aviation industry.

Enlarge this image
4751_zps5c77bf72.jpg

If using a swagging tool only, you will need to use a hole saw. Another expence !
Using a hole saw in steel using a hand held drill and without the use of a pedestal drill is challenging, as they are known to wander as the hole saws are not usually concentric or true ... I usually stick mine in a lathe and true up the end which has the teeth.

This shortens the life as it reduces the teeth width.

Swagging tools need precise on size holes drilled first, having an on size hole helps prevent the s/tool cocking sideways, and making uneven radius.
You can use a press or simply tighten the center bolt to operate.
Best to grease the tool first to aid location, stopping slip.

Personally if I was buying any again, I would purchase the combination cutter/ swagging tool as long term it saves on hole saws.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/motorsport-tools/fabrication-tools/punch-swage-tools.html

Just a couple of pic's of what is easily done with these. Sure makes things look very professional and adds way more strength.

Drill and bend. Will show how I do this later if anyone is interested ?

Enlarge this image
20098_zpsf6fc64ac.jpg

Swage holes

Enlarge this image
20119_zps9aac3bc2.jpg

Attach to job :

Enlarge this image
20123_zpse924f67a.jpg

Another application :

Enlarge this image
2716_zps30c07610.jpg

I like to fold things this way prior to welding ... Simply keeps things in place without a third pair of hands needed ( Wife icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif )

1862_zps817c257d.jpg

Raised floor :
TBA ( Just started )

Concaving the floor part slightly should assist any stones ( which somehow seem to get in icon_evil.gif ) to bounce about and find their way to the center holes and exit ! finally dropping through to the floor pan.

Plan is to incorporate a built in foot rest

Made this about 5 weeks ago.

Two Piece. Needed when de-molding :

Enlarge this image
IMG_24281_zps7e17a653.jpg

Bolts together in two pieces from behind, to aid removal ....

Enlarge this image
IMG_24241_zps6beaadc1.jpg

Floor will eventually extend up under the pedal pads, and up the floor pan approx 150 mm.
Should be a sh_t to make but adds to the challenge.
I expect the whole contraption to weigh approx 700 grms maybe even 900 grms.
May also make some girly looking cover for the gear selectors when made ... we'll see !

Way past my bed time at 2.20 am icon_smile.gif

Laters
Edited by Dingo Del
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guy's & Girls

Started the cage last month and progress is slow but moving along.

In the mean time :)

Was looking at the dog box manufacturers, as there are 5 I found. but was not happy with most of them for many reasons.

Using a C52 casing now .... Talking with Zisco :D As there is absolutely no point looking at Samsonas if they make them only to suit the C150 case and the only diffs available is Quaife to my knowledge. They were far from helpful.

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey ...

Please be carful when buying dog boxes mate as there is somebody "selling" them but all he does is run off with your money

Thanks for the heads up.

Things never change .... Do they.

Thieving scum every where.

For what it's worth I finally chose Keith from Zisco as he has been very helpful indeed. Got some very nice ratios too !

On a well sadder note.

I invested tens of thousands in firstly Zeemaz International run by Barry & Donna Freedmen about 16 years ago based in Norfolk !!

If it wasn't the guys contractor who gave me the heads up .... I would have also lost the Mini shell sent straight from Rover to have a kit fitted and painted at his shop, then sent out here as I was " Apparently " appointed as their man in OZ :angry2: Yeh Recon !

They went into self liquidation and I got ZERO pounds back as I was way way down on the creditors list ....

That finished my business of 10 years.

Funny thing was after 6 months they were and still are trading again ... Same owner same product and probably using same molds too !!!!

Then in 2011 ... I lost 20k to Auto Windscreens UK.

The nob who ran the show knowing damn well that they were about to be for-closed on by the banks, still took all the money I had in the world to start Motorsport Heated Windscreens ...

Found a new supplier in Tyneside and had to sell all I had to regroup. WTF

Guess we have to be careful all round ....

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey ...

Have the FIA Homolagation papers in disc format if anyone needs. This is for the 1985 version EP71 - EFI version ( A5271 papers ) not the turbo EP71 as that is 5/1986 on ( 5303 A Toyota Starlet Turbo (EP71) 1814 01.07.1986 J 6 )

Thanks if I can figure out how to post it up :lol:

Here are the ones that I know of and I may be able to share ....

5022 A Toyota Starlet 1300 KP61 1290 01.04.1982 J 7
5136 A Toyota Starlet 1200 KP62 1166 01.04.1983 J 2
5270 A Toyota Starlet 1300 EP71 1296 01.05.1985 J 10
5271 A Toyota Starlet EFI EP71 1296 01.05.1985 J 8
5303 A Toyota Starlet Turbo (EP71) 1814 01.07.1986 J 6
5429 A Toyota Starlet (EP81) 1296 01.04.1991 J 2
5536 A Toyota Publica Starlet KP47 1166 01.11.1973 J 2 Tr
5566 A Toyota Starlet 3Door (EP91) 1332 01.03.1997 J 2
5755 A Toyota Starlet 1200 KP62 1166 01.04.1979 J Tr - FM

Later's

Hey ...

the guys based in griston? Theyre litterally 2 mins down the road from me! Small world...

Interesting ... Guess they still live in their 16th Century Thatched Roof Cottage

Hmmm, Small world, they may find it is just that one day !!

Later's

Edited by Dingo Del
  • 7 months later...