EP71 Improved Production Race Car Project

Hi Guys & Girls

Looked at loads of great threads .... Thanks
:clapping:
Joined up to learn learn learn ! As I have just got an EP71 to build up to
race.

After owning an EP82 road car for a couple of years, was wicked as .... Passed it on to buy a GTi-R Huh ....
Yes I know before anyone says " What a Down grade ! "
Ended up doing GTi-R grey imports for a few years after that but not the EP82.

Live in the Blue Mountains NSW and involved in Motor Racing seemingly forever ! .... As I had Lotus Cortina's and Twinks way back
Originally from London.

After attempting to building an Evo to race in Improved Production, money constraints have hindered progress of late, so I have given up and
Purchased an EP71 to race here in Improved Production Racing class :yahoo:

Can't wait .... As I raced Mini Coopers for ages way back when most of you weren't born
Yep I'm OLD FART ! ....

My business is Motorsport Heated Windscreens, and have a good range of heated screens available, but to date only had the EP91 model. Having said this I now will be buying some EP71 heated model screens, and if interest EP82.
Could do a batch and send to the UK if ever a demand, but that's for another day.

Will be going a 4E-FTE ... Looking forward to sharing technical info, and progress along the way ! As I am
fortunate to do most things in house.

The only drawback with the IP class I intend to run is, our rules require a mandated restrictor of 36 mm. and when doing so the capacity has a multiplication factor of 1.7 so if I want to run in under 2Ltr class I will need to de-stroke etc.
The restrictor will hardly effect power but simply interupt the air going in if at all.

http://www.ipraforum.com.au/

Oh .... And thanks in advance for all info available already here as, .... I have little to offer at this stage but heaps of enthusiasm and a lot of Std parts now not required :)

Didn't see an application to post up a pic or two ?? Opps :blush:

UiEzVC.jpg

on4iU0.jpg

Later's

Cheers .... Del From Hell

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey ....

Welcome, sounds like youve had some fun in your time playing with lotus cortinas and the like!

Pictures you need to upload to a photo hosting site like photobucket and copy and paste the Image %7Boption%7D Link they give you. :)

Thanks.

Sob sob .... They were good days !

Couldn't see the option but even at my age worked it out :thumbsup:

Sounds great man, especially the cortina :)
I will be in Perth for Christmas to get some sun ,

Thanks.

Last one I had was from Southhampton - 1963 Pre-Air flow all the right bits with 43K on the clock for real even had the V5 etc

Sold it to buy a house way back and then lost the house in a divorce loll

Enjoy you stay in WA

Sure is hot there at Chissy

Welcome mate looking forward to how this turns out
Love how I read your post in an accent :D

Thanks again ... Me too. I'm bound to need tech advice for sure.

I'm told I'm anal about presentation with cars so may even look good yet. ... Go the " Poms "

Man I wouldn't trade my accent for quids :) Who'd want to talk like an Ozzie anyway !

Later's

• 1 month later...

Hi Stu

Hope yours ( And every body else's Christmas / New year was a good one ) with plenty of time to catch up with those car jobs put aside for ages !

Thanks for asking ... Apart from a couple of broken ribs acquired early Dec, going slower than planned. But who does plans !!

Little steps here .... Took over two dam days. But to me very important to sit right !

1 ) Set up seat ( Moved seat over 3.1/4 " to get weight nearest to tunnel ) and to lessen ones internal damage in a big one side intrusion !

2 ) Steering column all over the place till right .... Yawn ( Basically our reg's say it has to be in the center of the dash as factory but can change angles )

3 ) Tilton P/Box .... Sodded about for ever, but now should be good. Only trouble was finding enough pedal travel to actuate slave clyinder ( Tilton inboard ) Only have 25 mm of piston travel so may need to play with master sizes to operate right.

Limiting factor being pedal hits uni joint, when depressed :bad:

Will see if I can obtain a less bulky one than factory,as this will allow a small amount of extra travel.

4 ) Raised G/Shift 4 '' over, and up about 3 1/2 '', to where I wanted. ( Lever with spoke when in nutural )

5 ) Extended lever ( Short Shift ) for throw for approx 2.1/4 " 1st - 2nd. Will make Ti shift rod later.

All this allows me to look at where and how to fabricate mount off cage dash bar etc.

Prob do it simular to my last Evo 5

2397_zps39a34b24.jpg

2092_zps87e66bdf.jpg

Our rulings say steering column must remain as factory and one can add additional mounts by bolting only.

So I can mount from / to original bracket ( Upper drop bracket and lock up once mounted ) Lower mount can be attached to the pedal box mount being made. Like factory set up if you get my drift.

Took ages but now I sit very close, legs are almost straight like sitting in an open wheeler !

Things are now that comfortable once seated, all I need is a cuppa, and a TV remote and I could dose off :lol:

IMG_2247_zps5e2f46bd.jpg

IMG_2248_zps91c916d5.jpg

Later's

Cheers Del From Hell

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey ...

How things have changed

The class of racing here for modified street looking cars, is called Improved Production. Of which I have followed for many years, while racing Mini Cooper S's in historic racing.

The year model ( presented for log book ) dictates early or late model entry in Under 2 ltr or Over's with over's being up to 6 ltr.

You can run pre 1986 as early model and after that late model applies.

If I run late model ( As the EP70 series started prior to 1986 and finished after, one can choose which class you want to present the car and run in.

Should you choose Over's you can’t change the cly head etc. Sub sequentially I would have to compete with a 2E and as a choice certainly not the right one, given my options. Having said that I could run with engine change but that then incurs a weight penalty of 985 kg wet I believe.

By running the early model car, I can use a 4E engine and also run additional spats / flares etc. So an obvious no brainer there.

http://www.ipransw.com.au

http://www.ipransw.com.au/index.php

http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/Race/RA26-Group-3J-2015-1.pdf

Initially it was planned to enter a EP71 Turbo, but not knowing the Homologation details as I had not purchased them.

Running in under 2 ltr class ( Turbo cars run have to have a capacity of approx. 1180 - 1190 cc. The reason being that Turbo engined cars have a mandated 1.7 multiplication factor for capacity, so to be within the capacity ( allowing for say one overbore without sleeving. )

I'll start with 1185 cc approx.

We are allowed a 2% variation so 1185 X 1.7 = 2014cc well within the allowed limit of 2040cc.

Also have to run a mandated 36 mm restrictor to FIA specification ...

The smallest section / orifice being 3 mm in depth and has to be exactly 50 mm from the front edge of the t/wheel.

I am having Own Developments do my Turbo and restrictor. I have provided them with engine spec's and expected rev's to be used etc.

Hopefully with their expertise having a restrictor may only disturb the airflow more than it will actually restrict it.

Anyway enough on that for now.

With conformation from rulings in Aust ( CAMS = Confederation Of Australian Motorsport ) I have ascertained that the FIA Group A Homologation for the EP70 not the EP71 is pre 1986 but for a STD EP70 vehicle. Homologation for the EP71 was released in June / July 1986

So I now have to build and run an EP70 and within the rulings, and run it turbo charged !!

It also has to have ALL EP70 body panels, and look like one when log booked !

I was not aware of this, as I did not obtain homologation papers to start.

So now I have to obtain the both bars front valance panel, and slatted pre 1986 grill, bonnet etc.

So off comes the Turbo parts - Bars, Grill, Side Skirts, Rear spoilers etc etc .... Yawn

Not so cool as we did not have hardly any of these sold back then, so NZ will be taking my dosh for panels ... Hmmm

Only benefit may be a small amount of weight saving but we shall see.

Wish I was back home as I'm sure someone would want to swap ...

Later's

Hey ...

Seems a shame to turn an EP71 into an EP70 as there's so little of the 71's left.

Thanks for your comments ... Appreciated and understood

But ... Not at all as there's heaps of EP70's trying to look like EP71's around :thumbsup:

If you read through you would realize there are no EP70's in Australia ! :shok:​ to me

Further ... The thing has had a Cut & Shut.

If you don't know ? that's a new front end, replaced and joined at the lower A pillar and across sill and floor section in front of both seat mount rails.

( Strangely it's very straight as I plumbed if F-B / Diagonally ) :D

This really lessens the value big time, in my opinion. As no one with intent of buying / owning one looking to the future would put much value on a two peice car no matter what ... To me it's the same as people chucking the poor old 2E for a 4E-FTE. This too can be changed back.

Well that's my view anyway ..

So long term if I was to remove the cage and buy Bars/Grill/Skirts/ etc, it could be taken back to an " EP71 " easy, as the only difference is bolt on parts and of course the compliance plate :)

Another thing is there is a reason I have to run an EP70 " Look alike "

Homologation reasons for international racing rules.

I mean how many were raced in Jappa when their many series ran.

Another reason which I may have felt I needed not to add here.

It belonged to a good mate from Cessnock NSW. His dear wife drove it to work and also worked on it ! ( What a rare find these days ) Unfortunately while she was walking her / their dogs one evening and while passing a house with other dogs at the gate, her dogs ( German Sheperds ) got startled and pulled her back falling to the pavement, hitting her head ! She died a few days after .... F'ing sad.

She shared all my mates car interests, as she was always out in the shed with her overalls on.

RIP - Gladdy sad.png

You are dearly missed

Glady always wanted to race something as her man and her were involved in IP for many years. So to be honest I have a duel purpose to build this up.

While I appreciate your saying about making a 70 out of it. It's not as if I am making it a convertable.

Personally I feel it's slightly irrelevant, as all mods bar the cage are somewhat superficial but thanks for your input.

For what it's worth I restored Cooper S's ( Real one that is not BMW :) ) Am a purist at heart.

.Laters

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey.

Very nice project, :thumbsup:

But you're building an ep70 and turbo charge it. What engine will you use for this chassie ?

Also never thought that FIA had such tight regulation.

I think that KNAF regulations are easier.

Hey ... Thanks there.

I like to try to do things as best as possible ... Am no coinsure, but a tad fussy with some elements of fabrication.

Correct ... Group A Homologation mandates this, due to timing/release of both the EP70 paperwork and also the EP71 being separate issues, at different dates etc.

I shall put up the paperwork ( As it cost me 60 bleeding quid - Not 8) ) So I simply must share the love !

It's not Homologation that is tight, it's simply international rules for years of manufacture/ entered. So should you want to run any specific model in a race that's it's regulations are controlled / governed by FIA, one simply has to comply ( If I have said that right :lol::lazy: )

Engine will be based around a 4E with short stroke crank / longer rods / 74.5 mm bore

Although it appears your from across the water ... Without asking idiot questions ( :fool: ) as abbreviations change since I lived the UK ...I won't ask but have a good idea ;) Please explain if not rude, or offend our younger members ! ?

Laters.

Edited by Dingo Del

Hey ...

So do you have to run an actual EP70 or can you just make it look like a 70 but still retain the 71 body tags?

Opps sorry, I missed you post :blush:

Stu I simply just present the car as an EP70, with the appearance of one with appropriate panels etc.

No need to actually have a correct compliance plate as to speak ! So I will just take them off ( When i say them there is a secondry Aust Import Plate attached )

You have someone in mind for my compliance plate then :lol: As I need some STD EP70 panels soon !!

Wish I was there as I'm sure someone would swap panels.

Laters

Edited by Dingo Del

Seems easy enough then - EP71 is imprinted into the firewall but don't think they'd pull you up on that.

Can't wait to see the build! Did you end up getting those cranks from Spartans?