c series gearboxes and interchangeability

Hey all, now i know its been asked and asked and asked over the years, but ive been looking through various old threads and cant find any real agreement on this subject.

My clutch is knackered and i have a nice lightened flywheel to fit, and was having a think about sticking a 6 speed in there while its all in bits. The common swapout of choice seems to be the c160 out of the old g6 and g6r corollas, but many many people come flying in when the 160 is mentioned with claims that the c160 is made of cheese and eats itself if you chuck it on an fte. even wiki felt the need to mention this, and points towards the c60/3/4/5/6 as having chunkier gears and being more robust. has anyone on here put one of these alternative boxes in their car? would i be able to bolt the bellhousing and lsd from my c52 onto these gearboxes? ive never swapped a gearbox before, im in the dark on this subject and some advice would be much appreciated!

Changing gearboxes is easy mate dont worry about it, stripping down gearboxes and swapping gears around is a bit more tricky.

Right so pick a 6speed box say the C160, if its from a car with a E series engine then it should bolt straight onto your engine. If its from an A series engine then swap your C52 bell housing over to it and fire it on the engine.

Your LSD should fit in it no bother, assuming its an aftermarket LSD ? The OEM LSD should fit it aswell but youd need to swap the bell housing over with the external LSD housing and the actual diff itself.

C160 6 speeds have been run upto about 250bhp on here i think, maybe more.

Changing gearboxes is easy mate dont worry about it, stripping down gearboxes and swapping gears around is a bit more tricky.

Right so pick a 6speed box say the C160, if its from a car with a E series engine then it should bolt straight onto your engine. If its from an A series engine then swap your C52 bell housing over to it and fire it on the engine.

Your LSD should fit in it no bother, assuming its an aftermarket LSD ? The OEM LSD should fit it aswell but youd need to swap the bell housing over with the external LSD housing and the actual diff itself.

C160 6 speeds have been run upto about 250bhp on here i think, maybe more.

I'm rocking an oem viscous atm, does the job pretty well! im only aiming for the low 200s with a tf035 and some other goodies for now, still acquiring parts for a mean engine build next yearish. does swapping the diff over mess with the final drive? ive been number crunching the ratios on this

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

trying to work out which gbox suits me best. I like the ratios I've got in the c52, by preference id keep them and chuck an extra one on the end, cause motorways make your ears bleed pretty quickly in my car lol!

Edited by Chops

I'm rocking an oem viscous atm, does the job pretty well! im only aiming for the low 200s with a tf035 and some other goodies for now, still acquiring parts for a mean engine build next yearish. does swapping the diff over mess with the final drive? ive been number crunching the ratios on this

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

trying to work out which gbox suits me best. I like the ratios I've got in the c52, by preference id keep them and chuck an extra one on the end, cause motorways make your ears bleed pretty quickly in my car lol!

Yes the crown wheel on the diff is what makes the final drive. That and the final drive gear on the pinion shaft.

The C52 ratios seem pretty good, to make it better on the motorway swapping the 5th from a C53 box would be ideal.

With the C160 i think it works out youre only cruising a few hundred RPM less.

You could also go about changing final drives but it involves stripping all the gears off the output shaft then attaching them to say an output shaft of a C53 box, and youd have to take the crown wheel off your diff and swap the C53 crown wheel onto it.

Heres another pic robbed from the internet haha.

203_zpsttsu5dce.jpg

You could also go about changing final drives but it involves stripping all the gears off the output shaft then attaching them to say an output shaft of a C53 box, and youd have to take the crown wheel off your diff and swap the C53 crown wheel onto it.

Heres another pic robbed from the internet haha.

203_zpsttsu5dce.jpg

cool, cheers for the help i appreciate it! i wont be stripping down gearboxes, thats a mission i cba to deal with lol. it seems a shame to dismantle my admittedly perfect stock lsd box to make a c160 fit, i might hunt around my local scrappys for a c series box that fits an e series engine and plunder it for its parts to keep mine intact.

Chops it's only the box from the g6r requires the bell housing to be swapped, the one from the 1.3 g6 rolla is a straight fit.

By that I mean you dont have to dismantle your box

Ah yes, i meant id butcher a stock starlet box if i got hold of a g6r box. i also want to use my oem lsd, i dont like the idea of loosing it to gain one gear!