Hey everyone,

I've noticed a massively common trend going on throuought the starlet community. The fatal bottom end rattle. I've seen numerous posts about big end shells failing, picking up and general buggery.

My question is surely there should be a way to combat this? I know of a few people "upping the oil pressure" by placing a thicker or another washer in the oil pressure regulating valve. Does this actually work or is it just moving the problem elsewhere? Has any one ever thought of modifying the pulley on the pump? Even one less tooth will provide more flow at tick over and at high rpm? I know many people running 300+ bhp on standard toyota pumps but when oil coolers etc are added into the equation surely the standard pump is punching well above its weight?

Thoughts anyone?

Those pumps are shit, all they are is OEM Toyota pumps with the Toyota casting name smoothed out. The internals are exactly the same! There was a thread about it on a Tercel forum I believe.

Putting in a shim under the pressure valve does work and was commonly used back in the day when 5E's were first being built.

In all honesty because there is no " off the shelf " uprated pump that will produce a greater volume flow, getting one designed and made will be costly and you will be running into dry sump kit territory, not to mention the added bonuses you get from running such kits.

What could be worth looking into, I used to do this with Vauxhall engines years back, is extend the oil pick up down further into the bottom of the sump. I'll have to see if I've got any pictures floating around on a old hard drive.

Edited by AdamB
  • 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a massively common trend going on throuought the starlet community. The fatal bottom end rattle. I've seen numerous posts about big end shells failing, picking up and general buggery.

My question is surely there should be a way to combat this? I know of a few people "upping the oil pressure" by placing a thicker or another washer in the oil pressure regulating valve. Does this actually work or is it just moving the problem elsewhere? Has any one ever thought of modifying the pulley on the pump? Even one less tooth will provide more flow at tick over and at high rpm? I know many people running 300+ bhp on standard toyota pumps but when oil coolers etc are added into the equation surely the standard pump is punching well above its weight?

Thoughts anyone?

I have had 3 5efte engines, with 250-412 hp. And know a few who run them too. Never had a fault on bearing.

You dont need upgrade pump, you need to run the right oil, and make sure clearence is right in bearings.

Your on point but there's other things that can be done too

Above is based on

5efhe

50wt oil

Rev limited to 8300rpm

Modifications too oil gallery's !!!

None to pump or pressure relief valve

Hot pressure are no lower than 4 bar even at idle

Cold pressure at idle 7bar

• 1 month later...