*Pete*'s Second Starlet in Turquoise

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update:

With my 2 days off after JAE I decided I to take an old alarm system bracket off as the screws were rounded and rusted but also did alot on my front bumper.

post-12358-0-40241000-1442349761_thumb.j

post-12358-0-17837500-1442349806_thumb.j

post-12358-0-02475400-1442349846_thumb.j

post-12358-0-79216700-1442350058_thumb.j

Also just how bad my radiator is :/ so I know main purchase on payday going to go civic half rad along with brakes and going to do the timing belt at the same time for peace of mind.

post-12358-0-09303600-1442350126_thumb.j

Right now for the interesting bit the bumper so I took the old na bit someone else fibre glassed on which over time has fallen off so using my bumper from my sr I've decide to take the approach of plastic welding around the entire bumper for strength which with the little bit I have done now it is on there strong. I found taking a little bit off at a time to be the best way to get the bumper to sit right on the bolt holes.

Prep to weld so cutting/filing and making a chamfer for to fill with strips of plastic:

post-12358-0-63444300-1442350737_thumb.j

post-12358-0-96153500-1442351193_thumb.j

post-12358-0-22831800-1442351683_thumb.j

Before welding:

post-12358-0-41693300-1442351754_thumb.j

And During/after:

post-12358-0-01629400-1442351851_thumb.j

post-12358-0-73235700-1442351900_thumb.j

post-12358-0-44536800-1442351971_thumb.j

post-12358-0-69982000-1442352160_thumb.j

post-12358-0-67733000-1442352344_thumb.j

Where it sits currently, I will need to spend some time looking at how to fill the gap now I have already thought of different ways to but will possible look at it in detail on the weekend.

post-12358-0-33785400-1442352416_thumb.j

post-12358-0-51506000-1442352826_thumb.j

Love the purple interior lights in going purple for my theme. Where did you get those bonnet lifters from? And did you change the colour of your cigarette lighter as my bulb has a little green cap on and I want it purple.

Love the purple interior lights in going purple for my theme. Where did you get those bonnet lifters from? And did you change the colour of your cigarette lighter as my bulb has a little green cap on and I want it purple.

Look at JD tuning in the traders for the bonnet lifters (http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/80234-jd-tuning-bonnet-lift-kit-fits-ep82-ep91-and-paseo/), I changed the the bulbs, there 286 bulbs in the cigarette, heater and dials, there are also 501 bulbs in the dials and the switches are t3 neo wedge. Will give a little advice purple can be hard to find/match sometimes.

Look at JD tuning in the traders for the bonnet lifters (http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/80234-jd-tuning-bonnet-lift-kit-fits-ep82-ep91-and-paseo/), I changed the the bulbs, there 286 bulbs in the cigarette, heater and dials, there are also 501 bulbs in the dials and the switches are t3 neo wedge. Will give a little advice purple can be hard to find/match sometimes.

Ok cheers and I will have a look around if I can't find a purple one for the lighter I shall have to modify one to look purple. I already have purple side lights.

Thanks. Phil.

I had to do it one my white sr didn't do it on this one brought it like it, but I found heating the strips up then with a bit of thread or fishing line put it uder at one end of the plastic doing a sawing action then get enough away from the body to get a grip on then just heat the area at the bit its just about to come off at and pull. then go over the sticky left over bit with tar remover or something but after using it wash the car or at least the area in which the tar remove has been in contact with.

Ok cheers and I will have a look around if I can't find a purple one for the lighter I shall have to modify one to look purple. I already have purple side lights.

Thanks. Phil.

Brought these as they turned out purple and not pink as from you can see in the image http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-74-286-Pink-1-LED-5050-SMD-Dashboard-Side-Light-Sidelight-Bulb-DC-12V-6pcs-/181817678439?hash=item2a552d9a67

I brought these and as i changed my mind on the interior lights i took the leds apart them put three together and made my own 501 bulbs as my side lights

Oh right ok I've already got my purple sidelights got them on eBay cheap enough il get round to the dash ones at some point.

Thanks. Phil.

Updating Again this time more to do with the throttle body and inlet manifold. Designed this spacer in Solidworks as the manifold doesn't cover the bottom of the throttle body so this will bolt in between, using two gaskets which I'll make.

2a85aog.jpg

Made it, via laser cutter

i20cj6.jpg

The holes line up perfectly so no step between the throttle body and the spacer.

2hz0kt3.jpg

Bolted to the manifold will grind away to match the plate but will need to put a line of weld around the outside of flange so it can made to the same diameter or other wise the grinding will break through and the flange may fall off. (second picture is where I'll weld it)

zjcrqc.jpg

5we4ut.jpg

Then made a little plate to make the throttle cable fit and bolt up needs welding in.

2cdeezo.jpg

I had to do it one my white sr didn't do it on this one brought it like it, but I found heating the strips up then with a bit of thread or fishing line put it uder at one end of the plastic doing a sawing action then get enough away from the body to get a grip on then just heat the area at the bit its just about to come off at and pull. then go over the sticky left over bit with tar remover or something but after using it wash the car or at least the area in which the tar remove has been in contact with.

Cheers man... im going to have a go over the weekend hopefully i can get it off no bother at all

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done one in awhile have done this over the last couple of weeks.

Most important, got 3 of my 4 wheels back from refurb today. their re doing the fourth wheel as on one spoke there was a little bit of stuff in it.

sDwyot2.jpg

Brought these from Japan, only took four days to arrive:

lwhHCkt.jpg

And fitted my mirror from my sr as it looks better shape wise and painted it:

fF8FIwL.jpg

Also decided to uprate the speakers to, do like how the speaker covers on the parcel shelve hide the new speakers.

Front:

EmCnvcA.jpg

GrkBKxB.jpg

nY1ZrEI.jpg?1

Rear:

iCTSypY.jpg

DQ5G4lz.jpg

80TpcSJ.jpg

Need to clean the glass polish of the parcel shelve <_<

MnH9oCG.jpg?1

Hit a little problem with the 4afe throttle body as I use the spindle I was hoping to use and if I remember I ruin the the original getting it part. No pictures but went to my scrappy the over day and there was a bug eye corolla 4afe down there so had the throttle body as its the same as my other one. However, then I realised the tps is different to that that the older one uses 4 wires and the newer corolla uses 3 wires which actually is the same plug as the starlet wiring so may be on to a winner. So possibly doing all the work to the other body was a waste of time but if I hadn't found a problem I wouldn't of found this out.

As I was explaining in my last post is that the new throttle body I got off the new corolla with the 4age and while i was disassembling the throttle the starlet tps will bolt into the this body no problem as the photo below shows:

LqRHMEN.jpg

Also borrowed my mate arch roller just as only one wheel was just scraping the when going of bumps but also the new wheels stick out a few more mm so just to be safe I rolled them. Didnt have enough heat in the paint on first time so it chipped but on the inner bit so just quickly repainted it after I had finished but happy with how they have come out.

rxP4VKs.jpg?1

the bit I chipped:

sIEyEgt.jpg

Did effect the outside lucky:

tb5WWeS.jpg?1

quickly masked:

kSIoyGb.jpg

and after a bit of paint:

K0Z1e4d.jpg

Im in need of a arch roller! Thats on my to-do list lol

Easy enough ?

Yer just clean the arch and make sure theres not git or anything in the lip. Go careful with the heat on the paint not enough it will crack but not too much as it burn the paint but you have to get pretty hot to burn it. Then just slowly ease the pressure on the roller round and go back and forth as the bit towards the front of the car starts to need to be rolled before the top touches if you know what I mean. Then I know alot of people dont do this but where the lip had been rolled up I put a bead of silicon to make sure not water gets stuck in there and rusts it. Edited by *Pete*

Yer just clean the arch and make sure theres not git or anything in the lip. Go careful with the heat on the paint not enough it will crack but not too much as it burn the paint but you have to get pretty hot to burn it. Then just slowly ease the pressure on the roller round and go back and forth as the bit towards the front of the car starts to need to be rolled before the top touches if you know what I mean. Then I know alot of people dont do this but where the lip had been rolled up I put a bead of silicon to make sure not water gets stuck in there and rusts it.

Thanks dude