Knocking/catching noise on hard left turns (not tyres)

So I've recently noticed a noise from the car which is proving difficult to identify. On hard lefts downhill the front right (driver side) area is making a weird noise, kind of like a knocking or catching.

It feels more like a suspension component being responsible than being from tyres rubbing (a noise I was all too familiar with in the past). It's not a consistent knock-knock-knock as per a dodgy CV joint, but seems to be related to hard load and only for a second or so.

The most similar noise I can compare it to is when my brake line bracket on Meister coily used to catch the inner arch area. However having checked, I can't find anything obvious being the cause!

Arches are all rolled so I don't think it's the tyres. Not sure whether it's relevant, but the passenger side ball joint is on it's way out and I know that makes a noise on hard right turns. The ball joint on driver side doesn't look like it has much play at all really and cv boot is intact.

I'd appreciate any help, this problem has been niggling at me for a while now!

Thanks

Amjad

Yeah I have polybushes and ALK.

That being said, wishbones with ALK are known to sit pretty close to 24mm FARB's. They might be catching?

I know some people on TGTT have had to fit spacers to bring the FARB down further. That's one area I didn't check, but it's weird I never had this problem on my NA with the same setup (maybe the wisbone shape is different)

I don't know if the wishbones are a different shape or not, no idea on that one :/

But i'd be tempted to say that the FARB is catching. Worth checking... i hate annoying knocks

It's the worst! Got semi slicks to go on but wanna get all issues sorted first.

Hopefully it is this, really can't be dealing with car problems close to exams -_-

Yeah my brother has this same noise on his starlet. When hard locking

Does he have ALK and a bigger FARB at all?

Not something silly like topmount nut loose?

or even wheel bearing.

My WL 24mm arb caught on the bend over the exhaust tunnel so had to hammer some lips flat to clear it. Now with my oem arb it really close to the wishbone with the alk fitted but only when jacked up theres more clearance when the cars on the ground.

But WL arbs are pretty inconsistent in terms of shape so wouldnt put it off from being something like that.

Nah checked the top mount nut and it's reasonably tight. Wheel bearing is okay I think because no excessive movement when checking by hand.

Gonna have to check the wishbone properly to see if it's rubbed. Good thing is they're pink so should be easy to tell if it has haha

• 2 months later...

Big thank you for the help peeps! I think it was the ARB after all!

I'll post up some pics later but it was essentially the ALK pushing the wishbone down onto the 24mm ARB! Thankfully sorted now thanks to Grant

Edited by Amjad