Wait is the gen1 ECU the same as the 4efte ecu? Because according to the starlet WIKI the 4efte motor is the gen1 4efe, gen2 and gen3 never had a 4efte model. Only the gen1. So wouldn't the ecu from the 4efte actually be a Gen1 ecu? This is the snippet im talking about VV

"First generation 4E-FE[edit]

The first generation of 4E engines found in the Starlet GI, Soleil and Corolla models were produced from 1989 until 1996. The engine found in these two models produces 88 bhp (66 kW) at 6,600 rpm and 86 lb·ft (117 N·m) at 5,200 rpm. This engine had more in common with the 4E-FTE, sharing the same throttle body, and slightly larger fuel injectors.

• Specs:
  • 74 mm Bore
  • 77.4 mm Stroke
  • 9.6:1 Compression Ratio
4E-FTE[edit]

The first generation 4E-FE was the basis of the 4E-FTE in 1989, which was a turbocharged engine producing 133 hp (99 kW) at 6,400 rpm with 116 lb·ft (157 N·m) of torque at 4,800 rpm. The 4E-FTE was the most powerful of the E series engines ever produced. It was produced exclusively for the Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (Japan Only) and its replacement, the Toyota Glanza V (Japan only). However the 4E-FTE was a very popular conversion engine by enthusiasts for many small Toyota cars such as the Corolla, Tercel, Paseo and Sera which it fitted into with standard Toyota parts. The 4E-FTE differed internally from the 4E-FE only by its stronger connecting rods, and low compression pistons (reduced compression to 8.5:1) the cylinder head and valve train was identical to the 4E-FE the crankshaft was also stronger than the 4E-FE, you can tell which crank you have because the turbo will have 4ET stamped onto it, instead of 4E. It also featured a harmonic damper instead of a normal crankshaft pulley. The turbocharger fitted to the 4E-FTE was Toyota's own CT9 model, which featured an internal waste gate and had 2 modes: low (0.4 bar/40 kPa) and high (0.65 bar/65 kPa) boost. The low boost mode was electronically controlled by a solenoid valve and the ECU and the high boost was controlled by an actuator connected to the turbocharger. The 4E-FTE also had a top mounted, air cooled intercooler. The 4E-FTE was mated to the Toyota C52 transmission (for the EP82 Starlet GT) and the C56 transmission (for the EP91 Glanza V).

• Specs:
  • 74 mm Bore
  • 77.4 mm Stroke
  • 8.5:1 Compression Ratio"

You could always tweak the base timing a bit to get more out of it. But you have to be careful you dont get det/pinking/pre ifnition. If youre going to do that you can run more advanced timing with higher ron fuels because they are designed to reduce det happening.

If youre not sure on it then dont do it Though

Try it, they arent the same.

What cars do the gen1s come in? Is the 4efte gen1 but the ECU modified because its turbo?

Will the 12s to 100 time drop with every mod? Or will it take a lot to get it to drop noticeably?

Edited by glentwenty

What cars do the gen1s come in? Is the 4efte gen1 but the ECU modified because its turbo?

You'll most likely find the Gen1 FE ECU in early N/a EP82s and EP85s with EFI. They were 100ps.

To get more out of what man? Should i just run a 4efte ecu? I'm sure they are the same :p

To get more power out of it. Advancing the timing gives u a little bit extra. Its an old school way of tuning from the carb daya, now-a-days the timing is advanced on the ecu when it gets mapped. But from factory they only put a small amount of advancement in because its just a generic map For every car with that engine.

Tbh the best way to get your 0-60 down.... Strip the living daylights out of it, it costs absolutely nothing

To get more power out of it. Advancing the timing gives u a little bit extra. Its an old school way of tuning from the carb daya, now-a-days the timing is advanced on the ecu when it gets mapped. But from factory they only put a small amount of advancement in because its just a generic map For every car with that engine.

Tbh the best way to get your 0-60 down.... Strip the living daylights out of it, it costs absolutely nothing

I may advance it a little bit, I can't really strip it as it is my daily :/

If you do it be careful, read up on pinking/det, if youve got a keen ear you can hear it. But if youre not sure i wouldn't bother as it can do serious damage to your engine[/quoter's]

Okay man might give it a shot, my brother is a mechanic so he could lend me a hand listening out for it :) thanks, ecu and exhaust Mani to find.

What would be better gen1 4efe ECU or 4efte ECU??

why bother with a low rpm na ecu ??? waste of time

4efte ecu if your able to do the loom conversion :) ( i forgot to say it will need 4efte injectors to then because ecu is mapped on them )

Edited by 5e colin

^^^^^^ you need

loom

dizzy

coil / igniter

ecu and ( 4efte specific sensors )

if your car is p8 then use gtturbo stuff if p9 then the flanza stuff !!!!

Alright thanks dude :)) once all that's put in will it make a significant difference ??