Error code 42 vss (vehicle speed sensor)

Anybody ever get to the bottom of this I have used the search function but no one seams to have solved it. very annoying having the eml light come on every time I drive the car checked the wiring from the back of the clocks to the ecu and every thing seams fine. Baffled by this any help would be magic.

42 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

No speed sensor signal to ECU when loaded driving condition with engine speeds 2000 to 5000 rpm.

For 8 seconds or more.

ECU

I do know that the speed sensor is a unit thats like a glass bulb with two delicate fingers in .these touch and give a signal everytime the speedo does a revolution. sounds weird but is true.

my guess is theres a fault with the bulb like piece.

The speed signal comes from the speedo to the ecu. If the speedo is not working, then there's cable, gearbox or speedo fault. If the speedo is working, then the speedo, signal wire or ecu is broken. Is your spd signal wire spliced or modified some way?

Just a thought as this happened to me :) after a clutch change

The speedo cable get brittle after a while.... could be be slightly damaged on the inside after taking the engine in and out recently - TD wouldn't know its damaged as it would take a few miles to completely go :)

James

Edited by jimmymac101