Track day prep - Advise wanted

Hello, I've been asked to come on a track day with another forum, and I'd love to give it a go. I'd like some advice however. Should I bring another set of wheels with me, with a set of tires on them just for the track? Brake pads, do I need something like red stuff to stop them fading? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. My car is pretty much standard.

What car do you drive, what tyres do you run daily, when was the last time you changed your brake fluid and oil, how do you intend to drive? Bring your first you should maybe go and enjoy it and take it easy, if tuition is offered take it as it will be a wealth of knowledge for you

'94 Starlet GT turbo. Crappy tires daily, and brake fluid and oil should be changed next week. I won't push it as it's my first time but I won't completely baby it!

I'll have my dad with me who used to be a racing driver, I should have plenty of tution.

Thanks for the reply.

Some good tyres and decent brakes is a must for any trackday regardless of how experienced you are.

If you are generally quite heavy on the brakes, you'll find the Redstuff with fade, Yellowstuff might be the better option, but that said I think all EBC gear is shite. Ferodo DS2500 if you want a fast road/ trackday pad, or if you want some serious stopping power then some carbon pads like Carbotech etc. They are more expensive though.

First time out, go and enjoy yourself, then you'll soon figure what you would like to change to the car to make it more confidence insipiring.

A little tip though. When you start feeling like you're getting good/mastering the track and the car. Come back to the pits and take a half hour breather, when you start getting too confident that's when mistakes happen, and unfortunately they inevitably do.

Some good tyres and decent brakes is a must for any trackday regardless of how experienced you are.

If you are generally quite heavy on the brakes, you'll find the Redstuff with fade, Yellowstuff might be the better option, but that said I think all EBC gear is shite. Ferodo DS2500 if you want a fast road/ trackday pad, or if you want some serious stopping power then some carbon pads like Carbotech etc. They are more expensive though.

First time out, go and enjoy yourself, then you'll soon figure what you would like to change to the car to make it more confidence insipiring.

A little tip though. When you start feeling like you're getting good/mastering the track and the car. Come back to the pits and take a half hour breather, when you start getting too confident that's when mistakes happen, and unfortunately they inevitably do.

Great advice thank you.

As for taking spare wheels with tires on, what do you think?

Edit: I've just noticed the glaring typo in the title - Whoops!

Edited by MaxGT

If you have a set or can get hold of another set of wheels and put some decent rubber on them (providing its within budget), I would always suggest too.

Depending on the track, your driving style, weather etc you would be surprised how quickly you can wear a set of tyres down, and then having to drive back on your road set may leave you stuck with illegal tyres below the tread limits. This may sound a bit excessive, even for a new set of tyres, but all it takes is for the rubber to be pretty warm and then the brakes get locked and ending up with a flat spotted tyre.

That's a good point these are my ad08r's after 17mins on track at japfest lol

4C99C737-C1BE-4D31-A4F9-84142D6A9DA1_zps

Although still legal they're fucked lol I was pushing super hard mind

Jesus!! They're ruined!

I have some spare 14's around that I could chuck some rubber on.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm taking my V on my first track day beginning of next month.

Have any of you had issues with noise limits?

Where you going mate?!

You'll be fine with noise. Brakes, - pads and fluid is what you'll rinse through

Snetterton - the limit set for the day is 105db static and 92db drive by.

Car currently is ct9 with no cat, HKS Silent Hi-Power with no mid box.

I've got a set of Mintex Race Pads to bed in and some super DOT-4 to replace what's currently in there. The discs and calipers I pulled apart about a year ago to replace.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a bung.

As Adam and Marc have said, brakes and tyres are the prority.

Get some good fluid like ATE typ 200. Pads, yellows or Ferodo, Carbon Lorraine etc

I run Nankang NS2R tyres which are a great track tyre for the money

Edited by Amjad

My blitz nur spec exhaust with no bung is 98.6 db, so enough to fail a static at some events. If you have a screamer pipe, that'll probably fail drive by sound checks.

Good tyres and brakes are a must. A standard car could hit brake fade after a couple of laps and you don't want to be hitting the brakes, and they're not there. I'd also consider lowering tyre pressures a bit before going out as they'll also go quite high.