4E-FE Conversion for EE90 Liftback - Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I have posted up in the newbie section to introduce myself and my motors to the club, and now I'm in desperate need of some help.

Background:

I am performing a 4E-FE conversion to a 1991 Corolla Liftback (EE90) as shown below. I decided to perform the conversion when the Cylinder Head & Gasket failed on the standard 2E engine fitted to the car. I have had enough of the downsides to carburettors including but not limited to:

- Poor Throttle Response

- Poor Idle

- Low Mileage Service Intervals

- Refusal to Start when its Cold

- Refusal to Start when its Hot

- Refusal to Start when its not Hot or Cold

- Refusal to Start 'because I can you tit'

- Complex Emission Control Systems

- Over 3m of Vacuum Lines (I replaced them and measured, trust me, it's 3.2m)

- Poor Fuel Economy

- It sounds like a Subaru on Cold Start

- It sets fire in Petrol Stations

DSC_0479_zpsa6684593.jpg

I am mid-way through performing the 4E-FE conversion and need help to get over the final hurdles.

Engine Specifications:

The engine is a 1.3L 4E-FE from a 1999 Corolla G6 (E11). It has the 6-Speed G6 (C60?/C161) Transmission from said Corolla.

It has 91,000 Miles on the clock and is set to sail through some more.

Work Completed so far:

The engine, gearbox and Wiring harness have all been installed although the harness is in need of splicing to the EE90 chassis loom. I am now at the stage of bolting the last few bits to the engine this week and the rest of my job is wiring which is where my questions lie. I will post up a comprehensive build Thread later on in the month when the misery of doing this conversion on a shoestring budget and no means of getting home has passed.

My Questions:

1. Does the 1999 Corolla 4E-FE utilise a Lambda Sensor and if so, will not fitting it prevent the engine from working properly?

I know that some Lambda Sensors are simply a means of telling the ECU how well the Catalytic Converter is working, but I'm used to them being a means of fine tuning the Air/Fuel Ratio.

2. Does the Immobiliser fitted to the 1999 Corolla 4E-FE need to be present for the engine to work?

I have heard that with some cars with earlier immobiliser systems you can simply remove the immobiliser and join the wires to the circuits it interfered with - I don't know if this is the case here.

3. If I need to fit the Immobiliser Transponder, will I need to fit the Ignition Barrel and use the keys from the original car as well?

This will likely stuff me royally, so if there are any workarounds to this I would really like to hear them!

4. Does anyone here have experience splicing Harnesses, and if so, can I call upon some help to get started?!

Sorry to turn up with such a big ask, I am desperate to get this finished before I'm booted out of Halls and in need of a ride home! In one week I have managed to remove the old engine, fit the new engine, fit the harness, modify gear linkages, fabricate a downpipe, remove fuel lines, fit new fuel lines, remove fuel tank, fit new fuel tank and many other bits and pieces.

DSC_0763_zpsx5vsiczb.jpg

The wiring is the last step and I have never touched it before so I need as much help as I can get just to get me home!

Thank you for your time :)

KP

1 lambda is only a cat temp sensor wich 1 do you mean 1 or 2 ?? 1st 1 is o2 sensor for ecu and is needed connects to ecu

imoboliser and transponder match ecu and key

could be tricky bypassing

if you have problems with the above repin the ecu plugs and fit a starlet ecu with out imobiliser it will make life very easy

Edited by 5e colin

Well being honest, I am struggling to find a connector for either Lambda but I'm hoping one crops up as I assemble more bits and pieces. I have noticed one cable has been cut from this loom from the same area the Alternator, Starter and Crank Position sensors spur off. The Wire colours were Pink, Black, Brown and a thick Grey wire. Not sure if that would have been the Lambda connector I'm looking for - the Haynes manual isn't very revealing.

The Haynes Manual shows only one Oxygen sensor for the 4E-FE engine control section - "Heated Oxygen Sensor" - It shows a Pink wire, two Black wires and a Brown wires and that's it. No other sensors :)

I have asked if I can get the keys, transponder and barrel. Even if I have to make some mad abortion just to get home I can workaround it over summer I suppose!

Thanks for the help so far, it is appreciated! :)

KP

Ok thank you mate - will do that for now just to get home. Is that where the connector comes from on the loom (by the alternator)? I imagined it would be by the front of the car for the downpipe but is it post cat only?

KP

I have sourced a Bosch 4-wire heated sensor - they all send the same signal so I can join that to my loom via any means necessary - I still haven't found the second sensor on the diagram though so I'm assuming this is the only one.

I may have also cracked supplying power to the ignition barrel.

As for the immobiliser, the computer communicates with the key via an antenna mounted to the periphery of the barrel. So I can use my standard key and barrel, all I have to do is zip tie the new key to the antenna and mount it behind the dash so the immobiliser always has a signal and I'll be away!

My downpipe is being modified again to mount the sensor - there's no cat on my car so I think this is the best place for it.

I have to offer a huge thanks to you guys for your help so far, this has been a beastly project so far and you've helped a lot and I haven't even been a member for a full day!

KP

Thank you! That might be necessary because the chap who removed the old loom from the E11 just cut it to shreds from the main fuse/relay box in the engine bay which poses some interesting problems. We can work around them but its a ballache!

As for todays progress, a mate of mine from my club came to the rescue and managed to label up most wires I need to splice for the Combination Meter and physically wire the AM1 live feed and identify AM2. With his help it should be complete by Sunday and ready for a shakedown run!

KP

Some good progress yet also minor setbacks. I have wired up the Oil Pressure Switch, Water Temperature Sender and Sender Ground to the Combination Meter.

I also fitted the distributor bung, coil packs, leads, fuel filter lower half (could do with a banjo bolt for the top half if anyone has one spare!), oil filter and hooked in the PAS Pump but haven't been able to bolt it to the engine as I don't yet have the bracket.

I'll be blocking off the oil feed to the sump then securing the exhaust, leaving wiring the Lambda and rest of the car as the final tasks. Sunday is the aim, Friday next week is the deadline :)

My first bit of soldering and heat-shrink on this job - not used to automotive wiring; the copper coating really doesn't respond well to solder. It's a totally different ball game to the soldering I did as a kid for my granddads model railways :rolleyes:

DSC_0767_zpsurztkat1.jpg

And the rest of the bits and pieces:

DSC_0770_zpstjvlyfla.jpg

DSC_0771_zpslze9jrbx.jpg

DSC_0768_zpsmlxclnxw.jpg

Bonnet has also been mounted.

Not long to go now :)

KP

The fuel system is now fully plumbed in. Knew I took a Union from somewhere so I found that in my jacket and bolted up the filter. Also put in a fuel return line and hooked the tank to the hard lines.

Tomorrow should see the transmission oil done, engine oil, PAS oil and air box etc all hooked in. I need to get this crankshaft pulley off though but the rattle guns aren't man enough. I think I need to do it on the starter but of course she isn't wired up yet! :p

Only managed to get dull pics of the filter and return line in - nice and shiny though!

DSC_0773_zps8hggeh62.jpg

DSC_0772_zpszemxxeql.jpg

KP

And the march towards the finish continues. Downpipe is now complete with Lambda sensor - I do however need to secure it but that will be tomorrow's work. This week has been packed with various hold ups so I'll be servicing it tomorrow while the electrical gubbins is handled by the professionals :p

Here is the finished downpipe - courtesy of Owain and his continued efforts to keep my fleet going in times of crisis!

DSC_0777_zpskjtvkm41.jpg

DSC_0786_zpssqjrmkju.jpg

A further offering from the Owain Department of Saving KP's Ass is the bung for the oil return on the sump. After dropping a sketch off at his desk I came back today to this tidy number being made up:

DSC_0779_zpsmnsogyzo.jpg

DSC_0780_zpspwxi1bc2.jpg

And that little Aluminium bung fits brilliantly - definitely won't be seeing any leaks from this!

DSC_0782_zpsarrbzmxl.jpg

DSC_0783_zpschgttrvw.jpg

DSC_0784_zpsqshfhefw.jpg

DSC_0785_zpszaf93zaz.jpg

And the breather has finally been bodged into place:

DSC_0787_zpsm7y1nv9a.jpg

KP

The motor was part way through a Turbo conversion when the previous owner gave up and moved on. Hence missing components and the additional breathers on the cam cover. Out of those two which is the standard breather?

I believe it may possibly be a turbo bottom end so I should have a shot at a conversion (properly though) in the future. :)

KP

It will be even if only as a fly wire. I think I will solder it in so that I can terminate it properly once I'm home. It's not safe having bare wires just dangling about the place like that! Weren't even taped up or anything. When I get a little cash over summer I will be sorting out all the little bodges. Things like buying a 2E sump, getting a custom downpipe made up from stainless and properly securing the throttle cable.

I am just doing what needs to be done for now and I will neaten it all up when I have the time :)

KP

The engine starts first time every time, warms up, idles and the cooling fan kicks in and out as it should!

It drives nicely enough although it has only been a matter of yards with small throttle openings as some things are quite in check just yet.

The sump has a major leak and the timing belts appears to be rubbing the cover. I am tackling the sump today and fitting the 2E sump to accommodate the exhaust downpipe I will have made up over summer and later in the week I will be fitting the new covers.

From there it is tidying up the wiring and fitting the interior back in place.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lGTaHqOIlA&feature=youtu.be

KP

Annoyingly this engine is starting to become more trouble than its worth - both crankshaft oil seals are fucked hence some of the leaks. The sump is still leaking although nowhere near as badly.

Not going to lie, I am outright fed up with this shit now. It's just one thing after another.

Luckily it sounds immense, but it has also randomly developed a misfire and cuts power harshly sometimes. Just more BS I'm so not in the mood for with this.

KP

That sucks mate, the crankshaft oil deals are a common failing on 4Es so you would've been dealing with it sooner or later but obviously later would've been helpful!

If the sump leak isn't too bad, could you just leave it for a week and come back to it? Bit of a rest never hurt anyone :)

Misfire could simply be a sensor issue? You're on DIS ignition, right?

Annoyingly this engine is starting to become more trouble than its worth - both crankshaft oil seals are fucked hence some of the leaks. The sump is still leaking although nowhere near as badly.

Not going to lie, I am outright fed up with this shit now. It's just one thing after another.

Luckily it sounds immense, but it has also randomly developed a misfire and cuts power harshly sometimes. Just more BS I'm so not in the mood for with this.

KP

dont give up mate this is the point where so many peeps fail

clear your head and get around it it will come back to u :)

Too right - thank you mate.

Took some time to myself last night to make substantial tampon adjustments and will be buying a timing kit today and fitting it Monday. Thank you Idrees!

It seems the oil seal at the timing end is ok - I'm doing the sump again today but with much more liberal application of the sealant which should see me through.

I just want out of this now :p

KP