5efe running on 4efe ECU (upgrade)

Hey guys,

Im currently running an n/a 5efe engine (standard with 4-2-1 decat Manifold, K&N panel filter) on a Jap 4efe ECU (with Rev limiter removed). I didn't get a 5efe ECU with the engine and have read that it wont work with the 4e loom anyway so never got one. Ive been doing a bit of reading about ECU piggy backs but it seems like a pretty expensive option. Would it be a good solution in my situation?

Im also still have the one litre back box on it, would that cause much power loss? Im not a fan of aftermarket exhausts

You will probably find that as long as the oxygen sensor is operational that the current ecu is fine so you wont need to touch anything.

An old Turbo S I had ran a 5efhte with a VF8/CT9 Hybrid turbo (among other mods) on a factory 2et ecu without any issues at all. It went ever so slightly lean as the boost came on (very early) but actually dropped into the mid 11 afr's at peak load/rpm. Base timing was set at the standard 10 degrees and I ran 95 octane fuel.

For you car I would recommend swapping the rear muffler and then getting a wideband on it just to see whats going on. If you have a detset you may find you can actually wind some more timing into it dependent on the fuel your running.