Work needed on all starlet after x mileage

Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking to get myself a starlet, I've previously looked into them before and remember reading that a certain type of work needed to happen to the car past a certain amount of miles (i think 50k) and as far as I remember it was to do with the engine itself. I've tried to find this out again but am not finding what I'm after.

Can you tell me what this could have been and if so how important it is to the health of the car?

Thanks so much!

Timing belt? Pretty vital but its just a general service part done around the mileage youve mentioned. Most cars require this to be done. Its not something that should affect the buying of a car given the engine is currently running as it should.

atleast its done mate! ive been forced to sell up a few times for things like a house and what not and always regret not finishing my goals so its all out this time ha! hopefully mine shall be finished mapping shortly and i can just enjoy it for awhile

Timing belt? Pretty vital but its just a general service part done around the mileage youve mentioned. Most cars require this to be done. Its not something that should affect the buying of a car given the engine is currently running as it should.

thanks, that could be it! So other than that I shouldnt really be concerned about starlets with low mileage (sub 100k)? Not sure what a forged starlet is, mentioned by others, but I dont intend to get one that's modified. Thanks again for your help!

No low mileage is a bonus the lower the better like any car.

But no theres no well renowned "common faults" with these cars that you should really worry about if you are buyin a non modified car then chances are more than likely the engine will be fairly healthy as toyota made these engines for years and they were pretty bullet proof when run standard.

Obviously basic checks when viewing a car like how it runs, listen for knocks, check oil colour, smell the anti-freeze just generally check it over like you would any car. As I said though in a standard state it is a toyota which are obviously well known for being very reliable.

I can honestly say ive had ALOT of cars most of which have been modern and extremely low mileage almost brand new and my glanza has always been my most reliable car.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away from ones that have fcd/fuel cut defender, can be setup properly but it's an old school way of doing it

Ask to compression check, it's vital you compression check there knocking on 20years old and turbo charged, if the owner isn't happy just walk away

There's no real common problems just overhaul it a bit more being old and turbod, smoke on tickover, check fan kicks in, make sure it holds temperature, watch boost levels when test driving, just go all out, if there a decent seller they'll understand because of how many dogs are being slung together and sold on nowadays