Oil pressure loss one for the track guys & tuners to answer

At the nurburgring, roads around the nurburgring and at the recent track day i done at brands i noticed fast flowing sharp right bends mid corner that my defi oil pressure gauge was dropping to 0 but no light on the dash but exiting the corner goes back up to 4bar + the engine has been inspected bottom end and not picked up.

Has anybody else had any issues with right hand turns with there cars on track?

I have a baffled sump also which is more to a question to think why this is happening.

people who have seen my build know its not low budget or low spec.

But very short list

Forged bottom end

Big valve head

Baffled sump

Custom Greddy Td05 setup.

Oil using: millors cfs 10/40 fully syn

tyres im running dunlop dz03g - at brands the grip there giving is out of this world

Thoughts

faulty defi sensor?

Oil grade may not be right.

Tyres Giving to much grip

Please give your thoughts and any info if you ave suffered with similar issues.

Pm me if preffered

What type of sump do you have fitted to your engine Abbott? There are two types on the fte engines. One is quite wide and deep the other is shallow at one end and deep where the oil pick up is.

I have the 82 sump on mine which is the wider deep one and is baffled as below

DSC05458_zps2c49ab1d.jpg

DSC05447_zps2ae7d670.jpg

Assuming the oil pick up is low enough etc? I've heard of people having problems with sumps on other cars. An evo for example. Engine was sat on the sump which bent it and caused the oil pick up to be too close to the bottom of the sump. This caused a vacuum effect in the sump restricting the flow and subsequently doing the bottom end in :/ it may be worth figuring out how far your pick up goes into the sump :/

I've had my stock oil pressure light flash round a tight right hander a few days ago. Can't comment on whether the oil pressure gauge gave a warning as it would have been quick, dash light stayed on for a second or two.

Oil level was almost full and I run a baffled sump by RW Developments. Slightly disconcerting!

Assuming the oil pick up is low enough etc? I've heard of people having problems with sumps on other cars. An evo for example. Engine was sat on the sump which bent it and caused the oil pick up to be too close to the bottom of the sump. This caused a vacuum effect in the sump restricting the flow and subsequently doing the bottom end in :/ it may be worth figuring out how far your pick up goes into the sump :/

See what your saying matey will defently check that for sure. Thanks mate will get this post updated as what i find

You using a gt pick up or glanza pick up with your gt sump buddy?

Def using a ep82 pick up mate i did make sure. Im sure a 91 pick up does not fit with the 82 sump anyway as the perstion is wrong

I've had my stock oil pressure light flash round a tight right hander a few days ago. Can't comment on whether the oil pressure gauge gave a warning as it would have been quick, dash light stayed on for a second or two.

Oil level was almost full and I run a baffled sump by RW Developments. Slightly disconcerting!

Might be worth checking yours also mate as alot of money to through away. I am evening in talks of getting prices for going dry sump but depends on cost.

What are your oil temperatures like? Depending on the temps the 40 grade might be too thin at those higher temps.

Adam oil temps on track most i saw it got too was 105 but when i saw that i done some cooling down laps then gave here a proper cool dowm. But most of the time it was between 80-95.

My thoughts were the samw about the oil getting to thin. Another thing i have heard people do is run a extra 1/2ltr of oil.

Not quite hot enough to warrant the oil being too thin then, would need to be touching like 130 before changing the oil really.

Is yours a trap door baffle? Or just plates? You shouldn't really need to run anymore oil, smidge over the max mark is fine. A good trap door baffle should be good for approx 2.5g of lateral force. Not even BTCC cars run dry sump systems mate and their on slicks, Brands isn't a particularly notorious track for oil pressure issues either.

I would do what Sam suggest's and check to see how far the pick up lay in the sump, also see if you can swap a gauge sensor with a buddy and test again just to rule that out.

Have you spoke to your engine builder?

Edited by AdamB