N/A POOWWWEEERR

Hey guys got a few things in the works atom with the starlet hence why I haven't uploaded anything in a while. What I was wondering what parts are good for upping the BHP of a n/a starlet? I know a Corolla intake mani adds a bit but not sure how much? What do you guys suggest to up the power but has to remain n/a? Cheers Ben

Displacement, compression, air, fuel. No fun without good gear ratios though.

My setup is a 5efe block (skinny rods), with 4efe pistons, a usdm 5efe 0.6mm metal head gasket. Shaved 4e-f/4efte head (stronger valve springs), 5efhe cams timed to the 4e mark( aftermarket cams are too expensive where i'm located). 5efhe header and full piping, minus the cat(replaced with an oval 2inch resonator. Yamaha R6 itbs from the early efi model. Megasquirt 1 ems. C150 -672 (3.546diff) gearbox removed and replaced with a C150 -642 (4.312diff).

What I would do differently if/when I rebuild:

Blueprinted and balanced rotating assembly with forged rods, custom forged pistons to match the 4efe stock piston, but with deeper valve reliefs, ported and polished head (preferably uncut), higher duration/lift cams and uprated valve springs, custom header. Methanol injection.

In all honesty this build would be a waste of time for anyone who isn't fully dedicated to seeing it through. Such dedication cannot be found if peak hp numbers are an end goal.

n/a power is difficult to attain without spending a lot of money in general...especially on a 4e/5e

i investigated this alternative about a decade ago and here is what i came up with...similar to sudden's list

5e block, 4efe pistons (the higher crown ones), trd metal headgasket or 5e headgasket (0.6mm), 5efhe rods, 5efhe cams, 5efhe ACIS manifold, emanage, 5efhe 4-2-1 exhaust manifold set up (no cat), 2" exhaust piping, good quality pump gas or race gas, light weight flywheel, levin gearbox (4.3 final drive) or trd gear set (expensive and maybe discontinued now), rev to 7200rpm, no power steering, no a/c

in the future, maybe swap in some forged rods, forged pistons, aftermarket cams and headers, raise the rev limit to where it stops making power

regardless, the car should be properly tuned

if you are lucky, all of this would get you 130-150bhp

to make this more potent, maybe strip out the car and use the lighter n/a chassis as the base

i changed my mind due to the cost versus power analysis.....was more feasible to just drop in a stock 4efte or build an oem spec 5efte

Edited by gorganl2000

Easiest bang for buck n/a swap is the 5efhe.

After that id look at a 2zz or k20 swap, I've done the 20v swap and its a great engine but nowadays its cheaper and easier to get your hands on a lighter and more powerful engine.

4age 20v and k20 are almost the same weight and ones 160/120 hp/lbft the other is 200/150, bolt ons and remap the 20v might make 175/135 the k20 would be 250/170.

Its a no brainer to me haha