Painting your car

Evening all

I've been contemplating prepping and painting my car myself for a while now. I was looking for feedback and personal experiences from people who have had a bash at it or who do it for a living.

What material is best used for filling?

I know prep is a massive part in this so what sort of processes have you used etc?

This is more to see if I will bother trying it or not but I'd really like to be able to do this.

Cheers

John

I've done it twice , your right prep is the biggest part then the flattening and polishing.

Make sure you wipe down the door checks and doors with thinners before showing them the paint gun as they places always react with the paint due to silicones in the interior dressings used over the years

Also a paint booth would be ideal to paint it in but if that's not an option then wherever you paint it make sure it's clean and dust free

Rub down or high build primer then rub down all stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet as well or these will show through once painted

Ohh and good luck!

Neil

205 black Gainzy. Unfortunately polish won't take out any of these defects.

It would appear that the previous owner wasn't very well liked, and accidents during storage for the last few years has resulted in alot of bodywork needed.

Cheers for the input Neil. I'll be sure to use it.

John

I think the polishing comment was in reference to after you've lacquered the car.

Half the time most stuff looks very average off the gun and its transformed when you flat and polish. 2500 wet and dry and then 3000 wet and dry the whole car and a mop once painted.

Its good your doing it a dark colour tho. Much more forgiving.

My apologies, I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I'm not expecting it to be perfect for a first time but I get picky with things like this so would be hoping to give it a good go!

Any recommended panel beating tool brands?

Any preferred filler etc to use?

My pal does alot of damage repairables so he has offered to help as well.

John

• 3 months later...

Isopon p38 easy sand is a good filler just make sure any filling you do is completely smooth after or you'll see it a mile away. And mixed my lacquer at 2 part lacquer 1 part hardener and 10% thinners. Done it in a old garage taught it turned out well

DSC00166-1.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

047.jpg

038.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

Just a couple photos was my second go at spraying a car. I'd say go for it man 👍🏻

Edited by Bug679
  • 5 weeks later...