Think my small end is gone :( Help Needed?

After finally getting my car back on the road tonight I've discovered a small knocking sound when the engine is at about 2500rpm with no load on it, and only when at full operating temperature.

I also noticed my oil light flickering when I was idling but my oil level is bang on, any suggestions?

If it is the small end bearings, could this be sorted from the bottom by removing the crankshaft but without removing the head?

Neil

Small end doesn't have a direct oil pressure feed. Its more splash fed. If you've lost oil pressure it'll more than likely be big ends. If it's only slightly Knocking you might get away with a polish and new shells. If you carry on driving you'll spin a shell and you'll need a regrind and more than likely new rods and scoring in all areas of moving parts like cams and oil pump.

Luke am I correct in saying that the best way to check for the shells is to remove the sump and shake the rods about to check for play?

Also just to throw it out there could it possibly be the shims rattling around? All shims were replaced around 2k miles ago

Neil

Yes that is. You might not get any movement the tolerance is only small and only needs to be out a little to make an impact on resonance noise. Your best taking each shell off and visually inspecting ever shell surface, it's clear when a shell is having surface to surface contact you'll find the cap shell will look fine and the rod shell will wear first as it's the shell that takes the beating on the power stroke. If there is signs of wear and no crank scoring have it micrometer measured up or polished and mic'd if needed and get geunine toyota shells. You'll probably already know They're 3 different sizes.

Shims? You mean thrusts to stop crank float or valve bucket shims? So long as they are within tolerance, 2k won't wear them out unless they have oil starvation which would still point to big ends.

Edited by lukEp

Ok I hear what your saying Luke, as for the different sized it it std size then +.25 then +.50 oversize?

Shims I mean bucket shims in the head, just another option to rule out

I've got a video of the engine running now I just need to figure out how to upload it lol

Neil