uprated valve springs, what make ?

Can anyone help I have bought some valve springs and was wondering on the make. This picture is off this forum from 2009 ish and was in a guys car running 260-290.

Unfortunately he hasn't been a member for a while so I dont think ill be able to get in touc.

Possibly speedvision ?

27FBB871-C841-4E5A-A1CE-79414F2EC7E7_zps

Edited by Dean_mc88

I've seen cruise springs and the packaging is different.

I can find out all that information I work for a subsea engineering company and we have all sorts of kit in the workshop and if not I will have a list of company's who can check them for me

did they give you spec of them pressure and rpm limit etc ??

He don't need the info apparently...

I can find out all that information I work for a subsea engineering company and we have all sorts of kit in the workshop and if not I will have a list of company's who can check them for me

I never said I don't need the information I said I can find that out by getting them tested. i.e specs of pressure when valve is closed and open then compare against other makes etc

Also he wouldn't give me any specs which seemed a bit odd. To be honest after a little digging I've found 50% of people say they are fine and 50% say they are terrible and won't work !

Edited by Dean_mc88

So finding threads from 2009-2010 it looks like a lot of people had issues with the cams as we know and the valve springs, however the valve springs it looks like people were just throwing them in and not checking the base pressure etc. causing the cams to where a lot quicker.

I don't have any figures as of yet as it looked like a Mexican stand off between speedvision and the customers not to reveal too much

"speedvision

21-02-2010, 10:34 PM

sam do u know what spring pressure your ment to use?

hey ryan i am not sure as to the correct figure so i usually leave it up to the engine builders who usually has the information..but again too much pressure will wear away quickly and u will have more clearance than usual which will lead to shim clearance being off and then noise..

sam"

"speedvision

22-02-2010, 01:11 AM

and surly buying both springs and cams from speedvisions is the correct set up other wise wouldent be made so i wouldent worry about them being more pressure as it should be correct if buying both... and not enough pressure if im right wont wear away shims...... as again speedvisions kit have been tested ?? so im sure shouldent be wearin away shims if the 2 are brought ??

not entirely correct...if the springs as i said before are tensioned at a higher than usual figure it can cause premature wear of the cam lobes over a short period of time...the springs are already very stiff and if tensioned more than normal will cause it to wear...if whoever is installing the cams and not sure of what pressure to put the springs at i strongly suggest using your stock springs so you wont cause premature wearing of the lobes....many have used the cams with stock springs,my springs and cruise springs..

sam"

Eventually found a figure however modifications are needed to the head and this is to use speedvision cams

HYBRID

22-02-2010, 11:11 PM

the base spring pressure to be used on uprated cams on our engines is 60ft lbs ...

and i believe it was already stated that to fit sams springs on his cams you needed to get the spring base machined to lower the base pressure... same applies for cruise springs on our engines when fitting higher lift cams.

kon

no they had these up as direct fit years ago, then when something went wrong they changed the website to state that some modification to the head may be required, This (from what I have read) was down to the base pressure being to high when fitted directly and causing the cams to wear prematurely.

These springs can be fitted but due to them being longer and stiffer the head will need modification to allow the base pressure as stated above to be achieved.

Edited by Dean_mc88

Nice one Dean for documenting your findings. People are so quick to not bother these days.

Adam and Colin no doubt know a lot more than me, but from what I've read from tuning books, Springs are not necessarily for everyone. It sounds like you might be in the know more than I but for anyone in the future thinking of building a 250 Bhp spec Starlet I think it's worth noting that actually, Uprated valve springs can add additional wear to the other components inside the engine and unless you need to be raising the RPM limit, are unlikely to be of much benefit.

Or at least that was my interpretation of the chapter about springs. But I'm sure someone here will provide a better explanation.

Id say your pretty spot on mate

after doing all the research I don't actually need valve springs right now, im only running a tongs ct9 externally gated on a forged lump but was considering putting the springs in for future turbo upgrades so its already done,. However, I think I will just be selling these on now I have all the information I need.

Nice one Dean for documenting your findings. People are so quick to not bother these days.

Adam and Colin no doubt know a lot more than me, but from what I've read from tuning books, Springs are not necessarily for everyone. It sounds like you might be in the know more than I but for anyone in the future thinking of building a 250 Bhp spec Starlet I think it's worth noting that actually, Uprated valve springs can add additional wear to the other components inside the engine and unless you need to be raising the RPM limit, are unlikely to be of much benefit.

Or at least that was my interpretation of the chapter about springs. But I'm sure someone here will provide a better explanation.

Correct Calum, it's not just the wear they exert, but also the power they sap. A stiffer spring requires a greater acceleration from the camshaft and this increases friction within the engine and saps a bit of power. Like most things, run the least amount of anything you can get away with :thumbsup:

It's never a bad idea to replace valve springs, even the youngest ones are going to be 17 years old? Springs will sag, lose tension etc over time.

Like I said previously Dean, personally I wouldn't run springs without any specs, and these are a guessing game, not even Sam knows and their his product ( well manufactured by someone else ).

Edited by AdamB

yea Adam I don't disagree, figures help 100% the only thing I probably would have struggled with when testing the springs is its seat position highet and base pressure to set them at.

I would have been able to get valve open and closed pressure of the Spring etc but I see what you mean by the other specs now.

Having done the research now on them and finding the base pressure im sure someone will be able to calculate the machine work needed on the head to get these to sit at the right height with the required base pressure