my 5e td04 , vf35 and td05 20g spool comparison (videos/datalogs)

though id post this up as i plan on trying a few turbos before deciding what i ultimatly want out of my starlet, scince its been off the road for 4 years ive built a silly fast mx5 turbo and currently building a 600+ supra so my starlet goals have changed,

anyway this video shows how well a td04 and 5e go together (forged build with 9.1ish compression ratio)

this setup is silly responsive and i pulled a 13.8@ 102mph at just 11psi with just 330cc injectors and fuel reg.

( i have proper tuning equiptment so no need to slate lol) runs solid 11.3arfs

first vid was last week second video was this eveing as i just fitted an fcd and run 15psi for a laugh :D

sorry about the out of focus, boost in psi on left, rpm on right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNioOc7e2Mc

ill post same style video of a td05 20g and vf35 over the next month or so for a true comparison

EDIT: here is the td05 20g video:

2nd Edit: vf35 everything else identical:

https://flic.kr/p/Y4bmG8

and whislt im at it heres one of my mx5 turbo running a vf28:

Edited by goldenvtr

put my td05 20g on today to see how it compares here the video:

everything identical just a turbo swap and had to add some more fueling in - no knock and seady 11.3afrs

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGptMDWyLTw&feature=em-upload_owner

this turbo will be for sale soon as i simply don't want a monster starlet anymore, decided im gettin a vf35 and sticking to that :)

ill also have a dyno number next sat just as im instreted to see what its making at such little boost

Out of interest how much would you be after for the 20g?

going to list at £250, i bought it many years ago from a guy on the Subaru forum who converted with from a 16g, he made 420odd with it before upgrading, ive done about 3k on it over the years and made 362 on it at around 1.3bar would made a great power monster again and can run alot more boost, but i want more response now before i get it mapped

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Forgot to update this I've got the spool even better now. Hits 12psi at 3400. Need to upload the new datalog

Took it for a power run too. Made 242bhp (206whp) and 214ibft at 12psi with the vf35 but power drops off at 6300. Think this is due to weak valve springs. So there getting changed as soon as I get a day off work.

Done 2 trackdays already with this setup and it's great. Will be even better when stand alone ecu goes in :)

https://flic.kr/p/Y4bmG8

Edited by goldenvtr

great to hear goldenvtr...the vf35 is an excellent turbo for the 5e

its almost like it was built for it :D ...makes decent power, decent spool, decent price and you can run 20/22psi...and even maybe the odd 25psi from my past research... 8)

You should get a vf24 on there and do a log I'd love to know. I loved how quick it was compared to the billet td05 which was on the car before. At least 1000rpm earlier with butt dyno :)

vf24 is p18 housing ( bigger than vf35)...vf35 is P15 housing

taken from ebay

IHI RHF5HB Ball Bearing SUBARU STI VF24 VF28 VF29 Turbocharger.

Wheel Spec

- Inducer Diameter : 45.4mm

- Exducer Diameter : 60mm

- Trim : 57

- Total Height : 31.25

- Bore Diameter: 6.08

- 6+6 Blade

Application

- IHI RHF55 VF30, VF35, VF37

Spec

- 46.5 / 59.95 mm (Inducer / Exducer Dia)

Total Hub Length

- 34.1 mm

Hole dia. for shaft

- 6.1 mm

same 6+6 design

vf35 has 1.1mm bigger inducer compressor wheel than vf24 and a bigger compressor housing possibly

two interesting turbos

On 03/10/2017, 00:42:40, gorganl2000 said:

great to hear goldenvtr...the vf35 is an excellent turbo for the 5e

its almost like it was built for it :D ...makes decent power, decent spool, decent price and you can run 20/22psi...and even maybe the odd 25psi from my past research... 8)

thanks dude, cant wait till i fit the link ecu, k20 coils and get a proper map :) thanks for your input, im glad i tried out the vf35

On 03/10/2017, 09:41:11, maddox710 said:

You should get a vf24 on there and do a log I'd love to know. I loved how quick it was compared to the billet td05 which was on the car before. At least 1000rpm earlier with butt dyno :)

pretty sure this is almost identical to a vf28, which i have tried and was VERY good, i think its near identical in performance to the vf35 tbf but im done swapping turbos for now lol

On 03/10/2017, 13:59:51, maddox710 said:

Makes sense cuz the td05 had a p20 on it also has exhaust side on the head ported weither that made any difference

on a side note when i had my turbos on the bench i tried the spare p18 housing from my damaged vf28 on the vf35 core and it fits, i believe this would make it into a vf30? but the vf35 had a newer/better bearing design,

the p20 housing on my td05 20g is noticeably bigger, and lag is ghay but i recon it made around 260/270 at 12psi cant confirm that though

i've done tons of research on vf and td turbos over the years...so many choices smh...lol

and i kind of group theses turbos together td05/vf28/vf35....then marginally behind is vf34....then vf30.........in terms of response/lag

and you can probably flip that order around in terms of total power output

Edited by gorganl2000
23 hours ago, maddox710 said:

If I had a built motor again I'd go for the ball bearing vf24 or newer 34

it seems to be a decent turbo,,,but my main issue with it at the time was cost/benefit.

the vf34 was more expensive than the vf35/vf28, as its ball bearing, was slightly laggier based on the subaru forums (200/300rpm) BUT cost a fair bit more as it was ball bearing

it only made marginally more power than a vf35, again according to the subaru forums, again negligible

so for all intents and purposes on a 5e/4e engine, the vf35/vf28 seemed the cheaper option to make roughly the same power with slightly better spool or almost the same as 200rpm is negligible maybe,,, in comparison to the vf34