Morning all. I've had constant trouble with our 1.3 Sportif squealing. First off, I knew it was the belts as the squealing stopped once the alternator belt had snapped! Replaced that and the squealing went. Shortly after it came back but that was because we hadn't tightened it quite enough. That sorted it but then it started again so assumed it was PAS belt so replaced that the other day. Sorted it short term but now its back! Last night I took the PAS belt of and ran it quickly and it was still squeaking so confirmed to me it is alternator belt related.

The noise inst like your usual scream from a belt but more of a sort of chirping sound that is there when idling and when going up through the gears but then will go away randomly. What I have noticed is when the noise is there I can feel that the car is a little under powered and as soon the noise stops the car gains a little bit more guts. Anyone got any ideas what this is pointing too? Has the alternator belt become loose again? Or is it a bigger issue altogether? I really want to try and sort it myself as ive wasted so much time getting the garage to check it and tighten belts etc.

Any help appreciated

It could be the actual alternator itself thats making the noise.

Could just be the belts though, hold a block of wax against the contact surface of the belts whilst the engine is running, that should take away any squeel (assuming the belts are correctly tensioned)

Cheers guys. Think I will try and get the alternator belt off again and run the car without it quickly to see if the noise goes. I'm hoping it just needs tightening up again. Need a half decent day to do it in, cant stand working on the car in the cold/ wet :sad:

Do you find it squeaks more with your lights and heaters on?

No. I have tried switching everything off to see if made a difference and it doesn't. I'm normally driving to work in the dark and home in the dark so always have lights, heaters, radio on. Are you thinking it might be the alternator on the way out if it did effect it?

No. I have tried switching everything off to see if made a difference and it doesn't. I'm normally driving to work in the dark and home in the dark so always have lights, heaters, radio on. Are you thinking it might be the alternator on the way out if it did effect it?

I have found in every starlet i have ever owned if the alternator belt is loose when you use your electrics it makes the belt squeak. However this doesn't sound like your problem