I feel a little bit insulted by the person who said that all young Jap Car drivers are sounding like, well idiots basically..

Its a bit harsh to use the young word.. sound like an insurance company ;o)

I do see where your coming from though, In reply to that Im 21, and the majority of all my freinds own british/french cars.. to own a jap car at my age in my walk of life is a damn unknown!

Eventhough im young, ive found that (as said earlier) that french cars electrics are something like blackpool illuminations, They work for a month then off all rest of year.. My freinds dad owns a 172 Cup (is it?) and its fantastic to be in. Really a nice car.. But it does seem to break down a lot. Very often in fact, he's had it in the garage numerous times! Its still a gorgeous car and he still influxes money into it because its what he loves..

So my point really, is that people will alwyas buy what they love rather than follow what people say anyways. I bought a Glanza because I went in my freinds.. To be quite honest if it breaks down.. Ill fix it.. It doesnt make it a bad car at all! I suppose same with the french cars.. if people love their car, they will fix it..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think what people are trying to say is cars from the same era are very different in terms of reliability, a lot of my freinds drove french and english cars and im usually the one that gets lumbered with fixing them. Its funny as some of them were spot on and never went wrong but then some of them were awfull and spat there dummy out every 5 mins.

i sure as hell know my freinds 53 reg clio 1.2 was a hell of a lot more reliable than my 1995 ep82. But then again its a lot newer. But ive also seen clios of the same age breakdown every time there started.

A freind of mine is heavily into vw's and a lot of the cars hes owned were built around the same time as the starlet, ive found that the build quality is awfull (i.e. panel gaps, paint etc) but when it comes the actual reliability of the mechanicals they were as good if not slightly better.

To say that all cars of a certain manufacturer are shit is slightly naive but its the uncertainty of wether or not you were going to get a good one is what puts me off.

Me personally wouldnt buy a car that wasnt japanese, german, swedish or american (for various reasons of which i wont bore you with) but thats me.

I think its with most things if you look after them then on the whole they will be okay.

Also most GT/Glanza owners think there cars are Rare :blink:

The Starlet community is starting to follow in the ways of the Civic community. They can't see beyond their "JDM y0" cars.

that is exactly what i was getting at when i said about the young starlet owners (also, 21 is a young driver, regardless of average ownership age).

in their eyes they are the best thing in the whole world and nothing can touch them, which is probably due to the fact that they have gone onto a glanza/gt from an NA starlet or something similar (slow and cheap).

dont get me wrong, i LOVE starlet more than most people on this board, and i am a seft admited JDM whore. but at least i can see that they are just little fun cars and are not a super weapon like alot of the owners think. its all opinions again. its the best car they have ever driven, therefore, it is the best car in the whole wide world.

Also most GT/Glanza owners think there cars are Rare :blink:

The Starlet community is starting to follow in the ways of the Civic community. They can't see beyond their "JDM y0" cars.

depends what you define as rare really and also where abouts your from,

I think you will find with most enthusiasts of a certain brand or genre that they will be biased but isnt that the reason why people like us are into certain types of cars?

Its a bit silly to think that a toyota starlet is the greatest engineering feat ever made but i think its the potential in them that people see rather than the car itself, i know i do.

Granted theres a helluva lot more potential in other cars and i think we all would be driving different machines if we had our own way but my starlet suits my needs at this particular time in my life. The cost to benefit ratio is why i chose it and i think thats why its so popular among us "younger drivers"

But like you said to think its the be all and end all of jap performance cars is a touch narrow minded

Bourkey man, dont tell me that about Lotus man!! my dads lookin at Elises and Exiges!!! DAMMIT!!!! i will pass along this info!

we had a clio until very recently, never missed a beat til some wabb wrote it off while the poor clio was mindin its own business parked in a corner. sayin that, my wife's renault modus is a shit heap! totally shite! but her dads 10yr old scenic has had like ONE problem with the ARB in 10yrs, thats it, and it has UBER-HIGH miles on it! u cant argue with that! thats the same reliability as my EP.

And yes rick u are most correct about Fiats, like it or not, Fiats and alfa's are pretty damn reliable, and u can all through examples of how they 'are not' at me all u like, fact is there are FOUR fiats and an alfa in my driveway and not ONE of them has a SINGLE fault! the italians are on the ball, like it or not, deny it all u wish, they are on the ball.

Phil.

the new lotus' are ok mate, they all use toyota engines now ^^.

and phil, fiat, however reliable, do make some fucking gash looking cars. lol.

they do like a clutch cable to eat though. im surprised your bro hasnt has one of them go on him. seicentos are like, NUMNUMNUM ^^ for clutch cables.

@ Phil - The Fiats on your drive are in a different league to all other fiats. I've never seen a set of Fiats in such good condition. And being car enthusiasts im sure they are very well looked after. I however know of examples of a few that are breaking down a lot and so on. they look after them to an extent.

Don't even get me started on Alfa's. I don't care what people think of their reliability. They have to be the most beautiful cars in the world. Someone once said your not a petrol head unless you have had an Alfa.

And finally Phil, Tell him to get an Exige. As Rick said, There reliabilty has now shot up since they started using Toyota engines. They have to be one of the most entertaining cars ive ever been in and ever driven (And i've driven a Murcielago) It is like a go kart for the road. If the lights pop out whck them back in and drive on. You wont stop smiling i guarantee it.

Remember. I am only speaking from my experiences with cars.

@ Rick - Went for a test drive in a new 197 the other day as i was in Renault with my mate. Your right in every way. If i ever sell mine i may consider it now. Id have a good think about it though.

Bourkey

indeed man, reliability also comes down to owners and their maintenance, no point complainin your car is unreliable if your too lazy and mentally retarded to take care of the damn thing!!

Alfas...i totally agree man!!! stunning cars!! my mums 147 is luch inside too!!! just...lushness!!!!

he fancies an exige, but also an elise because u can drop the roof.

thanks for your words man, much appreciated!

Phil.

rick! be quiet!!!

i had one of those for years!!!! yes, it looks like a retarded hippo, but mate, its an UBER family car!! the 3 front seats, see the lookos u get from people who just DONT KNOW, its worth buyin one!!!!

just think of it like a McClaren F1, 3 front seats!!!! ubes! trust me, i hated it when my dad bought it, but it was an awesome car!!! i used to embarrass other cars on the roads with it too, it was no slouch!

Phil.

I want to buy an Italian car, I hear they make Pizza, and I'm Italian, so i'll acknowledge the pizza

I like pizza ;)

I also liked my last car (which was french)...106.

check this out too.....

I prefer my Glanzas handling over my 106 :lol: much less understeer. I couldnt go round a corner more than 20 fuking miles an hour without it understeering!

Damn im controversial :)