well, i've been flirting with the idea of getting a glanza for a while...although I bought a clio 172 instead.

I'm looking into doing a deal with this...

aetv921176651bjn2.jpg

aetv921176653bqc5.jpg

Tein adjustable suspension

blitz dumpvalve

big bore exhaust (doesnt say what brand)

FMIC..

how do you guys feel this would compared to my clio 172?

and what do you think of this glanza?

Daz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me I'd keep the Clio or sell it and buy something else (rather not have a french car personally), because looking at that Glanza I think it's probably been thrashed and badly treated.

Churcham garage in cheltenham. Brought one from there recently. Make sure you check everything. My exhaust rusted through and fell off a week after getting it. Nice blokes, but make sure you check everything on the car. That car was there when i got mine, it is very nice looking. I thought it had more miles than that though, thought it was nearer 100k???

what would it take to make it as fast/faster?

also I woulda thought with the Tein sus set-up, would be good anyway...obv not as good but hey

hey mate im glad you asked,

yea the teins are pretty good as a base,

to make it faster and handle better the simple way budget for about

£200 on the suspension (arb, anti lift kit) then another £500 for an actuater(£65) and plug and play ecu from the likes of jam racing

Churcham garage in cheltenham. Brought one from there recently. Make sure you check everything. My exhaust rusted through and fell off a week after getting it. Nice blokes, but make sure you check everything on the car. That car was there when i got mine, it is very nice looking. I thought it had more miles than that though, thought it was nearer 100k???

well the deal has fallen through....looks like one of the lads there offered me 'too much' for my car in P/x...

they now want £2000 and my 172 for that starlet.... made me laugh and put the phone down pretty quickly tbh.

oh well :p

mate, no matter what you do, you are never going to get rid of that live rear axle on the starlet (unless you spend UBES of money).

live axles, are crap.

some light suspension work to that clio, and it will run rings around a caged, coilovered, roll/strut barred starlet.

dont get me wrong, i love the starbos, and you can get them handling ok, but i can also own up to their flaws.

I'm with Rick, and I'm a firm believer of fact >>> personal opinion

As good as a modified Starlet can get, the basics of a suspension setup will always form the basis of a superior handling car...if only it were as easy as chucking parts onto a car to make it "better than x"

as above, they're inherently flawed, there's no changing that.

Clio's are renowned animals in the twisties, even as stock (the 172's anyways), if you were to work on them then, well, they'd devistate even the best handling cars out there. I'd put money on them worrying a few integra type-r's around the twisties, and the tegs use supposedly the best handling FWD chassis ever designed :p

both cars use beam axles, dated technology. . . . . all small hatches use them

the omision of the arb(standard on almost anything else) is the main culprit for the bad handling, sort that that then draw a comparison for youself daz,

live axle or not, i totaly disagree,

i never said the clio used a "live beam" it uses a beam axle in the shape of a torshan beam,,

im not in denial at all, i know what handles well and what does not. standard yea the starlet is not too shit hot, sort out the issues i mentioned above to level the playing feald.

i never said the clio used a "live beam" it uses a beam axle in the shape of a torshan beam,,

im not in denial at all, i know what handles well and what does not. standard yea the starlet is not too shit hot, sort out the issues i mentioned above to level the playing feald.

A torsion beam?! wow and people say live axle is dated technology

if you want to get techy, then yes, the starlet uses a beam axle, but the way it works in comparison to a live axle is exactly the same, minum the shafts. they are stiff and dont move. i was just keeping it simple for the masses...

it is fact that they are not best suited to handling setups and were originally designed for lorrys, as they are good at dealing with heavy loads.

you get no gamber gain across the axle when cornering.

trailing arms, which are used on the clio are totally different to a beam/solid axle, the wheels can move independantly of each other, giving independent camber gains to each wheel. they also alter the position of the deadweight of the chassis under heavy cornering for better weight distribution.

there is no comparison mate.

you dont need to explain to me dude.

ok just so we dont end up going round in circles or argue the same point for 50million pages

and so we dont get our wires crossed,

im saying just because the starlet has a live axle dosent make it a hindrance to the handling of a car,(not having a rear arb does every other car has one) ultimately it does have its flaws over a normal indipendant setup but in real world terms "i think" (my view that cant be swayed) from experience that you can make an ep handle just aswell as anything else out there.

i respect your opinions, and i know that starlets can handle well. mine is super. but. you just cant beat a good base setup mate.

dont take this the wrong way, but to say that having a solid axle is not a hinderance to handling is silly. camber gain plays a very large part in the dynamics of tyre grip, and to have both the tyres working independantly of each other plays a big old part of that.

beam axles are totally dependant on each other, what one does, the other follows. it doesnt make for good handling. you can slap coilovers, panhards, roll bars, strut bars etc onto it. and at the end of the day. if one wheel lifts, the other will have a dramatic loss of traction.

if youve ever taken an EP round a track and ever used a rumble curb to go round a corner, youll know exactly what im talking about. DORI DORI ^^;

and this will be my last post on it, so we dont keep spinning round.. but mate, fact over opinion cant be argued.