Upgrading to ARP head bolts from stock...

Hi all,

I currently have forged motor etc... but stock head bolts and looking to go different turbo and over 300hp.

I currently have an Athena 1.2mm head gasket also. Now can I just unbolt the original stock head bolts and wack the new uprated ARP ones in, or do I have to remove the entire head as the headgasket has been crushed and replace for a new one?

Thanks

Nikhil

disclaimer in advance---i have not tried this procedure myself

now that is out of the way, it may be possible to change the head bolts without removing the head and ruining your headgasket...basically you would take out one old h/bolt at a time and replace with one new h/bolt at a time and re-tighten WHILE following the normal h/bolt installation procedure..when all of the bolts are replaced, then follow arp's procedures and final torque settings as required..i hope you understand what i'm trying to say there

maybe some other members can comment on this method

oh, to add, my other concern is that you are using a MLS h/gasket, which may not be as forgiving to any disturbances as an oem stock h/gasket

Edited by gorganl2000

Yeah I was thinking this before as currently I have zero leaks and would like to kept it that way.

Understand what your saying here. But even to take the first bolt out you never take it out fully you would realise it slightly following the pattern for unbolt? So you don't warp the head?

If anyone else who's done this before could let me know the best way? And the one above? :)

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?100863-Cylinder-head-removal-and-installation-info

i'd follow the pattern for head bolt installation to remove and replace each bolt at a time...starting in number 1 position...then to number 2 position and so forth...somehow it seems less likely that the head will lift with this method which starts in the centre of the head and progresses slowly outwards

Edited by gorganl2000

I've just done this a few weeks ago and removed all the old head bolts using the correct sequence and then replaced with ARP bolts re-tightening using ARP's grease and instructions. As soon as I started the car the headgasket leaked straight away at the front, crank pulley side. As soon as I replaced the gasket like for like no more leaks. The block and head were both skimmed and checked by my local machine shop when the original gasket was fitted. So I'd recommend a new gasket to be honest. It'll save you time and grief.

I've just done this a few weeks ago and removed all the old head bolts using the correct sequence and then replaced with ARP bolts re-tightening using ARP's grease and instructions. As soon as I started the car the headgasket leaked straight away at the front, crank pulley side. As soon as I replaced the gasket like for like no more leaks. The block and head were both skimmed and checked by my local machine shop when the original gasket was fitted. So I'd recommend a new gasket to be honest. It'll save you time and grief.

Okay I thought in the back of my mid this might happen!

New head gasket it is then. My block and head were both skimmed also but while the head is off i'll see if it's all still straight otherwise i'll get it skimmed.

Thanks for the info guys

hey mickey...did you remove all of the old head bolts at the same time........and then install all of the new arp bolts?