Trouble starting when upto temperature.

The title kind of says it all...when starting from cold, the engine turns over and starts up 9 times out of 10. When it's upto temperature and I turn the key it will just turn over and over and over. I have to wait for it to cool down again and start it up then. It's a bit of an inconvenience that I could do without if I'm honest. What could it be? What do I need to change?

TIA

will be interested in seeing what the cause is for this. I have the same trouble but not as severe as yours. when mine is warm, it will crank over for a bit, then fire up. sometimes it will just crank and crank, il turn it off, try it again and it will start straight away again. weird.

keep us posted

Whats the AFR's doing when it does this?

In your tune, check what your warm up enrichment tables are doing. Its possible that on cold start up the enrichment is supplying enough fuel for it to idle but when it drops away as it gets hot there may not be enough crank enrichment to start it again? By checking the tune you can also quickly make sure the water temp sensor is actually working.

Bit more outside of the square but check the dwell time tables on your aftermarket ecu. Make sure the coils are not working too hard and overheating and shutting down. I had that on a customers car that came in - would start perfectly when cold but after a while you could feel the coils getting hotter and hotter and then eventually get hot enough you'd struggle to put your hand on it before it cut out. I wound back the dwell tables and it didnt do it again.

Edited by Stu
  • 3 months later...