Squeeky fan belt

Started my car this morning about 6am (first really cold morning for a while) and the fan belt started squeeling its head off. Took about 10 mins to settle. Pretty sure my neighbours would have loved me for that :D

Is there anything that can be done to stop this or is it a belt change job?

Cheers

Neil

Its not a fan belt mate :D

Starlets dont have viscous fans :D

It would be the alternator belt mate mine does the same when its damp and you first start it :D

Really annoying, could get away with tightening it although if it has been doing it for ages (like mine) you may need a new belt

Cool cheers for that guys :D

Lol @ fan belt, thats what working for BMW does to you :D

I've got a new belt anyway just not had a chance to fit it yet. Are there any special tools required to fit or is it quite simple?

tighten it up a bit and itll stop.

for a quick fix get a stick of chalk, when it squeels just dab the chalk on the belt and it will stop.

sorry for the question but how does that stop it squeeling

Mine squeels but i just claim its also got a supercharger fitted too... lolol

One of the mechanics at my work, decided, hmm the belt squeels, lets spray some oil all over it..numpty.Had to replace the alternator 'because the whole thing was smotherd in oil :D

As Rick said, chalk for a quick fix, just grind some up into powder and chuck over the belt and pulley..Or tighten it up, allthough its an ass to get to .Have fun :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if your gonna change the alternator belt, change the pas one too... as you have to take it off to get to the alternator belt anyway.

thats what i should have done!

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If you have power steer and/or a/c then you have 2 aux belts if replacing one doesnt work then replace the other.

Best way to tell which belt needs replaced is start the engine make the bitch squeel and then spray either belt with a small amount of WD40 whichever spray stops the squeeling then thats the offender.