How can I make my 1996 N/a EP91 starlet faster?

Haven driven mine as an N/A for about 5 or 6 years before turboing it, I can tell you there aren't a whole pile of options for making a lot more grunt out of the N/A engine unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Some of the more common upgrades include a tubular intake manifold from a bug-eyed Corolla, these come up for sale pretty often and do make a nice improvement. You could couple that with the likes of a K&N panel filter or a full upgraded filter system of some sort (BMC etc). There are a few exhaust manifold options available aftermarket also.

But where you will likely see the most difference is in weight reduction. You're unlikely to get huge HP numbers from the N/A block, plenty have tried over the years but even getting to the magical 100HP mark has proven difficult and costly for some, but if you couple some small HP gains with a weight reduction you might get more smiles for your efforts.

Phil.

Look out for a 5EFE from the paseo. 

Failing that, as Phil already mentioned the corolla manifold. Also worth looking for an OBX exhaust manifold, again, sold for the 5EFE but can be made to fit the 4EFE. 

An open cone filter will more than likely lose power, you can buy an enclosed induction kit off eBay that helps keep heat soak to a minimum. 

And if you’ve got the pennies, look Into fitting a 4EFTE lightened flywheel. 

Other than stripping the car out to reduce weight, there’s not much more without spending daft money or going turbo. 

My Rep had a corolla manifold, cone filter and 2" straight through system to a small scorpion back box, on the Dyno it made 86.6 so gained 12.6 from only spending 40£ :)

i then decided I was going to turbo it, started gathering parts up but then sold it and bought a GT :D

• 1 year later...

I've been looking at this very topic over the past few month. 

I'm recently new to the starlet group and 4e engine. The lad I got ep91 CD UK starlet off showed me a graph of his 4efe tuned to 118hp with a great torque band of nearly all the rpm band. 

His spec 

4efte inlet cam higher lift. 

ROLLA tubular manifold with plenum extended and 1991 gen1 ecu to match the 4efte throttle body 

4-2-1 exhaust manifold off a gen1 corrola 4e.

Ported head (mild) and exhaust and inlet valves dereztricted 

2 inch exhaust system 

Mx5 1.8 red injectors

Power box, and cone filter induction. 

Fadanza 4kg alloy flywheel and low anertia clutch

68deg thermo 

Platinum heat 5 plugs

Racing ht leads

As well as things like power steering remove 

Improved engine earthing 

Fse fuel reg. 

Charcoal filter removed and tank vented to atmosphere. 

Aem piggy back. 

From what I've seen thr are 2x ways to tune these both with different results and power feel. 

The first way is the above way only people have failed to spot the na 4e cam and overlap restriction to topend hp. The turbo inlet cam or 5ehfe acis cams help from factory. 

Or the gen1 4e corolla approach using the

4efte power inlet

A much smaller throttle body from wat I can see its around 20mm less diameter to help low down flow power rates also helping throttle sensativity. 

Brown injectors 

4-2-1 exhaust system. 

I've found 3 lads on here runing this second option 1 being Ryan lang on the leader board you can see his engine torque difference he ran the 4efte throttle body hitting a impressive 86hp but 1 of the biggest torque levels. This is the pulling feeling. 

All of the 4e cars In here run the 4e na inletcam. 

More to come.